Sheds

• 12 Replies

Wellington

• Experienced Member
Sheds
« on: January 11, 2020, 22:20 »
All the best allotments have a shed, or so I’m told. So what’s the best shed to buy?  I’ve had really cheap ones in the past, and I want one that will last. Vandalism is quite a problem on our plots, and quite a few sheds have been burnt down. I wasn’t going to have one, but I’m mostly going to be walking up there, so I’ll need somewhere to store basic tools, at least, and I need a water cachement for the ibc (we have no mains water).

I’m vaguely wondering about a metal one, which should be a bit more rat proof (two legged rats, that is) and at least won’t burn down. Anybody got any pearls of wisdom?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Sheds
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 12:49 »
A metal one sounds like a good option.  Make sure it is securely fixed to the ground as the are not as heavy as wood and I've known them to blow over in high winds.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 14:12 »
Metal shed doors are relatively flimsy and I've seen them be bent open - which means it's really difficult to secure them in the future.  They can also have condensation issues.  But yes, they won't be at risk of arson.

No shed is secure and I'd therefore say that you should never leave anything in a shed that you couldn't afford to replace or didn't want to have to (e.g. sentimental reasons).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 10:16 »
All the best allotments have a shed, or so I’m told. So what’s the best shed to buy?  I’ve had really cheap ones in the past, and I want one that will last. Vandalism is quite a problem on our plots, and quite a few sheds have been burnt down. I wasn’t going to have one, but I’m mostly going to be walking up there, so I’ll need somewhere to store basic tools, at least, and I need a water cachement for the ibc (we have no mains water).

I’m vaguely wondering about a metal one, which should be a bit more rat proof (two legged rats, that is) and at least won’t burn down. Anybody got any pearls of wisdom?

A metal one sounds good, but if you go down that route, they are easily breached. The ones with the sliding doors just need a good push and you'll be able to gain access to them, just a thought.
Ches

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 10:43 »
Hmm, sounds like wood is the way to go, then. I doubt I will keep anything terribly valuable up there, its more about the time that goes into things. I may start off with one of those plastic storage containers and see how I get on. It's only a couple of minutes walk up the to the allotment, so I really don't want to be taking the car up the whole time. And anyway, I can't get the spade or a builders bucket in the boot of my car, because the access is too tight. Should have bought a hatchback!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 20:35 »
And anyway, I can't get the spade or a builders bucket in the boot of my car, because the access is too tight. Should have bought a hatchback!

I shall have to replace my dearly-loved car at some point this year.  The 1st consideration will be the boot dimensions! Only then will I consider driveability … Hashtag priorities  :lol: ::) :wub:

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 23:04 »
One of the association sheds is a metal container, thick heavy steel. Using bolt cutters they stole the generator from inside. Moral of he story - nothing is secure. let them unscrew the hasp and staple that way they don't cause too much damage and keep nothing valuable on site.

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 21:17 »
I think it’s largely kids. We do have a fence, but for some reason only the car gate is ever locked, not the pedestrian gate. Such a shame. I’m going to go for wooden, and see how it goes. I rather miss being able to store tools in the kitchen, but there was nothing for it. It was a social life or a big garden. I’d have gone for the garden, myself, but my nine year old is very gregarious and her only having me to gregare with was wearing me out!

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 21:48 »
And anyway, I can't get the spade or a builders bucket in the boot of my car, because the access is too tight. Should have bought a hatchback!

I shall have to replace my dearly-loved car at some point this year.  The 1st consideration will be the boot dimensions! Only then will I consider driveability … Hashtag priorities  :lol: ::) :wub:

I really fancied a soft top. At the time I had no garden to speak of and was planning to put a tow bar on it, and get a very small trailer that I could manage on my own, so that I could still do tip runs and the like. Turns out that’s a pig of a job on my model, although it would make life so much easier.

lettice

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 09:55 »
I recently bought a small Tall Store 3x2 shed from Shire GB.
Shire were brilliant. They called to arrange a convenient delivery day.
They sent out texts and email reminders a few days before the delivery with all the details of the expected delivery and one on the day with the estimate of the delivery and the tracking details.
The tracking of my delivery on the day was door to door, able to follow the driver in real time.
The Shire delivery guy was very helpful and carried the shed parts to exactly where I wanted it.
The shed and instructions was of great quality, environmentally friendly wood and very little packaging.

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 21:23 »
That’s good to know, I’ll bear it In mind. I like real time tracking. I don’t mind waiting up at the allotment, but with no shelter, that would be useful.

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 14:56 »
our landlord prohibits allotment sheds so we have to transport everything we need to the allotments until I got a tractor  I took everything down the allotment by car trailer I take the car rather than the tractor most times unless I need to take the big rotavator

as  you seem to have quite a problem with vandalism it looks like anything you put on the allotments could be vandalised unfortunately that's life these days I know how to take care of those who do the damage  but its not for this site

I think the trailer is your answer and get that pedestrian gate locked it mite help

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 14:33 »
our landlord prohibits allotment sheds so we have to transport everything we need to the allotments until I got a tractor  I took everything down the allotment by car trailer I take the car rather than the tractor most times unless I need to take the big rotavator

as  you seem to have quite a problem with vandalism it looks like anything you put on the allotments could be vandalised unfortunately that's life these days I know how to take care of those who do the damage  but its not for this site

I think the trailer is your answer and get that pedestrian gate locked it mite help

That only helps if its non plot holders doing the damage. In our plot it's a resident, we think we know who it is because they left a trail up the grass when they stole the rotavator out of the shed to his shed door. But he's part of the circle of old friends and plot holders and we aren't so I don't know if that'll go down well.

xx
sheds under trees

Started by vegypete on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post November 24, 2012, 02:47
by Trillium
xx
Joining two sheds together

Started by Ice on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 19:09
by sunshineband
xx
Small sheds - where to buy?

Started by Babycat on Design and Construction

24 Replies
Last post November 30, 2007, 22:12
by noshed
xx
metal sheds

Started by joiner on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 20:01
by Trillium

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 52 queries.