Cat attack

• 7 Replies

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
Cat attack
« on: April 20, 2015, 17:21 »
On Easter Sunday we had the family round and my three blacktails were down the garden scatching as usual. I was hoping for three real Easter eggs but only got two. My eldest son was looking down the garden, whilst making the custard, and saw the 3 hens running up squawking, Hen and Sandy in front and Beryl coming up on her own looking very untidy. I saw a large white cat with a collar on  lying down by my shed, at the bottom of the garden and a few yards in front of it was a mass of light brown feathers. It looked like a pillow had burst.  I put down my  chocolate  tart and cream and rushed to my flock. Beryl is not the easiest bird to catch and not given to being picked up. I eventually got her and noticed most of her feathers were missing on her left side and underneath her wings. Sandy laid an egg by my wheel barrow, on the lawn, whilst I was checking over a traumatised Beryl.  However after a reluctant going to bed, (the eglu is in the bottom half of the garden) they all laid the next day and most days since. I did not expect to have cats trying to take my birds >:(
rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

LotuSeed

Re: Cat attack
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 17:28 »
That sounds awful!  My be worth having a look to see if there's any contact info on the cat's collar???
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 08:55 »
It's no help to you but cat attacks are the exception rather than the rule >:( I'm glad your hens have recovered well. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 11:34 »
That sounds awful!  My be worth having a look to see if there's any contact info on the cat's collar???

In the UK cat owners are not responsible for any damage or deaths caused by their cats and have no legal obligation to keep them on their own property!

IMO an outdated law that should be changed now !

LotuSeed

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 15:33 »

In the UK cat owners are not responsible for any damage or deaths caused by their cats and have no legal obligation to keep them on their own property!

IMO an outdated law that should be changed now !

What!?😧 That's absolutely ridiculous, imho.

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 23:18 »
Happy to report that Beryl has feathered up nicely, the new growth is lighter than the old, so she has a mottled appearance. But apart from that she is in top form :).

Just got to sort out Sandy who has taken to drinking lots and laying soft shell eggs :(

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 09:49 »
Have you wormed them? :)

Snoop

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 11:47 »
Have you seen the cat since?

We have three cats and they are terrified of our hens. I'm amazed you had a cat attack like that. One of those machine-gun-style water pistols might do the trick if it comes back...

xx
Dog Attack

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 17:25
by LittleRedHen
xx
Fox attack

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2016, 17:43
by danfinn1
xx
omg fox attack

Started by ganner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 20:42
by RigsVilleBird
xx
Cat attack?

Started by Stewart P on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 30, 2013, 21:41
by barley

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 39 queries.