chickens and bread

• 6 Replies

brookieme

• Animal Farm and loving it
    • honeysucklecottage
chickens and bread
« on: April 14, 2014, 11:09 »
Hi,
Have read lots of posts on this and I would like your thoughts on it please.
Can you give chickens bread?
Here in France it seems to be the staple diet for them. When you see pics of french chickens in runs there is always lots of bread in the run. 
I have given mine alittle soaked in water and they appear to love it. Shall I carry on or not.
Thanks
Sue in France :)

Springlands

Re: chickens and bread
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 11:45 »
Sue - bread is not good for hens - you would be much better just to feed them their layers pellets and the occasional treat (mine love sweetcorn and cabbage leaves but I do not give them too much).  :)

brookieme

• honeysucklecottage
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:40 »
Sue - bread is not good for hens - you would be much better just to feed them their layers pellets and the occasional treat (mine love sweetcorn and cabbage leaves but I do not give them too much).  :)
Thanks for that advice. I will stop giving it.
Chickens are new for me and I am still learning. When I go down to see them they  seem to get very excited and I thought this cańt be because they are happy to see me it must be because they are hungry.
They are laying every  day and the eggs have good shells and are delicious. So I must be getting some of it right.
They do like cabbage especially red and also corn too. I feed thrm on pellets till  mid afternoon then I give them some treats.
Let me know  if I should do anything else please.

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 14:56 »
As you say if they are laying you are doing something right.  :D How do you feed them the layers pellets - the pellets should be available all day. Also to ensure that the hens lay eggs with good shells you should ensure that they have a supply of grit and oyster shell.  :)

hen addict

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 22:06 »
Bread can be a cause of sour crop I won't give mine any at all but have caught hubby feeding them bread a few times! He says they like it !!!!
A chicken mad addict currently owned by 12 lovely hybrid hens, 1 large allotment growing lots of  fruit and veg

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 09:53 »
We all like things that are not good for us, for chooks this includes bread. Bread generally contains over processed ingredients and too much salt. For chooks the texture can also cause health issues such as sour crop/blockages.

Agree that ad lib layers pellets, with a few greens and a small sprinkling of mixed corn at tea time is best. Along with grit and oyster shell always available. :) :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

brookieme

• honeysucklecottage
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 13:11 »
We all like things that are not good for us, for chooks this includes bread. Bread generally contains over processed ingredients and too much salt. For chooks the texture can also cause health issues such as sour crop/blockages.

Agree that ad lib layers pellets, with a few greens and a small sprinkling of mixed corn at tea time is best. Along with grit and oyster shell always available. :) :)
Thanks for all the replies. I feed them pellets all  day with some greens etc late afternoon.
They have grit and oyster shells available all the time.

xx
feeding chickens bread and bio yoghurt

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 20:01
by janet12000
xx
can you give chickens dried bread crumbs

Started by lynnie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post September 19, 2011, 09:31
by freebirdy
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 38 queries.