Broody hen

• 1 Replies

retribution

Broody hen
« on: April 25, 2011, 13:13 »
Have noticed that on a few occassions now one of our hens is sitting on the eggs and puffing herself up and being angry when we go to collect. we collect every day so they are not sat there very long, was wondering if we leave her to it of give her a nudge off? or if we have to get her some eggs to hatch ???

Casey76

Re: Broody hen
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 18:17 »
If you do give her some eggs to sit on, do you know what you would do with any resulting boys?  (I currently have about 15 baby cockerels at the moment, but I will cull once they reach adult size and plumage and only keep one or two for breeding and showing purposes)

If you leave her to it, it is possible she will eventuqlly come out of the broodiness if you constantly remove the eggs, but it can take weeks, and she may lose a lot of weight, as hens naturally decrease thier food intake to about 1/5 of normal whilst brooding.

Personally I would keep picking her off the nest, and if possible close the nesting area off to her.  If she doesn't take the hint after a few days, try sticking her in a wire bottomed cage (dog crate with the base tray removed) sat on a couple of bricks at each corner.  As the cool air can then circulate under her, it will slowly reduce the brooding hormones, and she will come out of it.

Just don't expect overnight success ;)

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Broody or not broody that is the question.

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 14:10
by nicky d

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 39 queries.