Smallhold Farming and Rural Living > Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

Large Blacks

(1/2) > >>

Swing Swang:
Just been pig shopping!
Born between Eunice and Franklin - I guess that sorts out a couple of names for me - will collect them around Easter time.
Sausages and charcuterie in the autumn, and until then a rich source of compost.
Happy days!

John:
Congratulations, stranger! :)

Handsome beasts, aren't they?

Yorkie:
How lovely  :D

greenjay:
Fab looking pigs. I have always fancied rearing up pigs for the freezer but think I would get attached to them. Don't think it's good to give them names would make it harder when the time comes.

Swing Swang:
If you've only a few animals they all seem to get names even if they don't start out with any - I've a sheep with a big head, hence 'Big Ed', then Titchy Odd Ears (tagged the wrong way round), Hedgepoker (obvious really), TIC (short for second in command - always second in the food queue), Mr Tumnus (started out as Mr Timid, then changed character)...the list goes on and on...

The way I manage it is by treating them as food animals from the outset - so I tell Big Ed that he's got a great set of chops on him, that sort of thing. That doesn't mean that it's easy to let them go when the time comes, it's not; and actually I don't think it should be either, but it's how I deal with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version