Red Mite

• 21 Replies

hillfooter

Re: Red Mite
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 10:13 »
Yes last year was a bumper year.  I was only thinking just a day or two ago that there had been no posts on RM this year so far and given the hot weather that was unusual.  Probably it was as a result of the hard cold winter.  But they are on the march now so get ready to repel those little boarders.

They do adapt to pesticides so changing the agent will help.  I tried every commercially available product on the market and I've no idea how much I spent on sprays etc but none were effective longterm until I found a pesticide which really did the job and had a longterm residual effect and since using that they've not made a return. Fingers crossed.

I think your idea of using ply wood and sealing seams is a very good idea and the next best thing to using plastic for those who can't bare the sight of a hen house which looks like a garrish kids playground toy.  

Diatom discourages them from colonising the house too but doesn't zap an established colony.  Paint it on to keep the dust down.  Dust is a killer for chx if they continually breath it in.

HF
Truth through science.

hillfooter

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 10:25 »
HF please can you not type whole paragraphs in red as this strains my eyes and makes it difficult to read your replies, thanks  :)

Sorry Joy I only do it when replying inside a quote so my response is differentiated from the original post.  I'll use blue in future.

Apologises to any one else who finds this difficult to read. :blush:
HF

As you can see from this reply you can still include the quote and post in black  :). This is an example of an inside quote reply
As for redmite, never had them (yes I can see red - and red mite don't write whole paragraphs in bright colours). My coups are wooden kept near trees and wild birds - so guess I am just lucky, one day I will more than likely get them though.

I said inside a quote. Sometimes it's quicker and easier to reply within the quote but unless you highlight it somehow it can be missed. Obviously outside the quote it's more obviously a reply.  Sorry if you didn't realise.
HF

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 11:18 »
simplez - just itemise your answers and I'm sure we will all figure it out as to which part of the query you are talking about   :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 14:36 »
Not sure Joy will agree with your last paragraph either Hillfooter!!   ;) ;)

Well I don't suppose they dare show their little red faces in Joy's houses and not being able to see red I guess she'd miss them anyway.  Is that what you meant Grannie?  Hhummmmm is that a Red Mite on my screen or a full stop???........... 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  that is what I meant Terry!  Joy has never had RM in any of her houses!!!   :lol: :lol:

wildwitchy

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 17:16 »
I know alot of people love eglus but i cant stand them personally. I cant find any info on that company HF you menchon. As to being a real chicken keeper now- Thanks but its a club i dont want to join! I know about the creosote as its carcinogenic, apparently the pro's are immune to that??? lol. Ridiculous rules. I think it is available on some farming sites.

If only i could use hubble bubble toil n trouble.

did the poo pick again today and found half a dozen again on me.  :wacko: i was reading they can bite human hosts & give them a rash!  :ohmy: Oh know ive got an infestation of RM.

hillfooter

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 08:39 »
I cant find any info on that company HF you menchon.

Sorry Wildwitchy I gave the wrong name (now corrected) it's Bowden and Knights. 

http://www.bowdenandknights.com/  They don't have an on-line shop so you need to phone

01953 681830  and talk to them they are very helpful.

HF

wildwitchy

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 13:41 »
Thank you very much HF.  ;). Did the poo pick again today and didnt get any on me from the main coop however they're on the compost bin where i'd put the flipping stuff before i realised id got them! Picked the lid up and they were on my hands. And ive got a itchy rash but we wont menchon that.  :dry:

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean
xx
Red Mite

Started by lukasmum on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 09:34
by lukasmum

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 40 queries.