on line scams

• 16 Replies

dugless

on line scams
« on: June 03, 2020, 19:32 »
I got one today supposedly from the DVLA saying my direct debit failed and I have five days to pay.
First off I never have paid my vehicle tax by direct debit and I checked online my road tax is valid until September. must admit it did look authentic. good job I never pay anything like that online.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

wighty

Re: on line scams
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 20:08 »
Paul has had a couple of friend requests on Facebook.  The requests are from people he knows and has checked with them.  Neither even have a face book account so he hasn't responded.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 22:46 »
Facebook generates friend requests.I get them from hubby war group

Elaine G

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 23:58 »
But beware of friend requests from people you are already friends with. These are hacked accounts and need to be reported to Facebook. It has happened to me and a couple of other friends.

Also the TV license scam is doing the rounds again!!

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 11:41 »
To all the scummy scammers;

“Boils and plagues Plaster you o'er, that you may be abhorr'd.”

W.S. Coriolanus

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 12:38 »
I have never done facebook, for the reasons some of you mention.   I know who my friends are.  If they ring me, my phone shows me their number.   I don't have a mobile phone.  My ipad is only for chats with grandchildren and their mum and dad.  Emails, if I don't recognise it, I don't open.   Stay safe, from it all.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

chrissie B

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 23:33 »
Just had a one today claiming we had an internet problem we dont
Also had many accident scams ect I just put the phone down let them talk to their shelves
It doesn't matter how much or little you have in life theres always some one willing to take it off you by any means.
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

jezza

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 18:31 »
Hello  just had a phone call today claiming to be from the tax office said if I gave them my bank details they could put my refund in to my account I asked them to wait whilst I found the details they waited for 20 minutes then hung up I didn't give any details wasn't intending to if it was the tax office they now know how it feels to be left waiting,even before Covid 19 it was 3 1/2 hour wait  jezza

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 18:41 »
Jezza NEVER EVER give bank account details to anyone who contacts you on-line or over the phone - no matter who they are or what they say.
Everybody who needs to know should always write to you if you or they need to make payments.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 20:44 by mumofstig »

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 19:24 »
I work for HMRC and we would not be asking you for that info over the phone Jezza. Good move.....

dugless

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 12:43 »
They seem to get more inventive and some look and sound quite authentic, I only pay money online for things I have generated.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 22:44 »
Believe it or not there is one doing the rounds from the "NHS"
Track and trace will call you and say you've been in contact yada,  yada, yada...you then need to pay for a test...yea ...right!

We all know...I never do this that or the other...etc. etc.etc...I'm ultra careful...etc.etc.etc.

These morons will stoop far lower than you can imagine.

Be careful out there.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 22:50 »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 12:22 »
Not an online scam - more unsettling in a way as this letter arrived in the post yesterday.
Completely as received, apart from removing my actual address and references to my real name.

Pretty mind-boggling assumption of gullibility, including the notion that as the sole beneficiary I would want to share 9 million dollars 50-50 with him!

Have tried without success to find out something about the person behind the gmail address - currently looking for a way of reporting the attempted abuse of their email system to Google:

+++

2020 June, 11th

'JayG', plus my full address, including postcode.

Dear 'JayG'

I had tried to send a letter to you some weeks ago, but frustrated by the Covid 19 restrictions in my district, hence the reason I have sent it via a friend who works with World Health Organization, as he was transiting through the UK, to help me use the postal system in UK for quick delivery to you, as it became inevitably urgent for me to make contact with you

I am reaching out to you 'JayG' based on your credibility, ascertained by a private heir hunter whom I hired to look for someone that has good ratings and shared the same last name with late 'Mr lan G' a client of the bank I have worked for over 14 years where I managed his portfolio between 2010-2013. Fortunately your details were found and forwarded to me by the heir hunter which is the reason I am contacting you with this proposal, to make you the sole beneficiary to the estate of late lan worth USD$8,950,000 in his account portfolio with the bank. He never left a Will Or a dependant in his file. As his personal account officer for three years before his demise, I knew him in and out that he had no dependants home and aboard. In his home country (UK) where he was an orphan the society at that time did not accept him in the early Fighties because of his sexuality as a homosexual the reason he relocated and cut off all ties with the UK.

I want you to respond to me by reconfirming your full details immediately you receive this letter via my Email above. Upon receipt of your information, I will proceed with all necessary documentations in your name to officially make you the Next-of-Kin and beneficiary to late lan, so that these funds could be made available to you confidentially without anyone knowing about it. Note that the process would take approximately two to three weeks to complete and the funds credited to your nominated bank account. Be assured that my position in the bank as a top management staff makes it 100% secured

I know this might be a bit heavy for you but please trust me on this, for all your trouble propose that we split this money in half (50-50). In the banking circle here in Asia and in Europe, this happens every time. If we do not claim these funds for ourselves, the only other option is that the money will go back to the State and government officials will end up diverting it for themselves. Top CEO's of the banks at times sweep this under the carpet and convert them to juicy bonuses. You need to note that nobody is getting hurt and this is a lifetime opportunity for us as I hold the KEY to these funds and as an insider this is a daily occurrence, with funds like this been reassigned

I await your immediate response preferably via email: matchn55@gmail.com , while trusting that we keep this to ourselves as confidentiality will guarantee the success of this transaction

Regards,

Martin Chun
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2020, 12:52 »
 :ohmy: :ohmy:

xx
two possible scams?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

20 Replies
Last post November 03, 2022, 17:18
by rowlandwells
xx
Another two scams.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post March 30, 2021, 07:06
by Growster...
xx
Telephone Scams

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post November 28, 2018, 14:55
by rowlandwells
xx
Attempted telephone scams

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

17 Replies
Last post August 26, 2023, 06:23
by Growster...

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 56 queries.