Telephone Scams

• 6 Replies

mrs bouquet

Telephone Scams
« on: November 26, 2018, 13:54 »
Last week I had 3 calls.  The first was from a girl who said she was from Virgin Bank.  (I do have a savings account with them).  She started wittering on and I couldn't hear her properly, so I said what you want, put it in hard copy and send to me, Goodbye.

The second, was from the Water Board.  (I knew I hadn't paid - I never do until they send a red)  He said, I am from ….Can we just go through security.  I said.   How do I know who you are.  Lets do my security.  Who am I, whats my account number, whats my email, how much do I owe you etc etc.   Then I told him to send me a red.   He said, Yes, I understand your precautions.
The third was from Virgin Bank again.    He said, Can we just go through our security.   I said no, you go through mine.   Off I went again, asking him what I wanted to know.
He said,  Well done, that's a very good idea.
So perhaps I am practicing for the day when its a real scammer, but I didn't know who they were.  :ohmy:
Regards,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

jaydig

Re: Telephone Scams
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 14:25 »
I had a VERY insistent call supposedly on behalf of my bank, from a company who said they were carrying out a customer service survey. The woman on the other end of the phone became extremely shrill when I said I wouldn't take part, almost shouting at me that "it won't take five minutes of your time!", to which I replied, actually it won't take any of my time at all, and then I hung up.  The call didn't seem either professional or courteous enough to have been genuine, and no doubt we would have eventually got into leading questions about my account had I continued the conversation. 

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 17:04 »
I'm afraid cold callers and would be telephone scams don't get much change out of me I don't answer and surveys I just tell those on the other end of the phone to go away or words to effect

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 17:15 »
 Good on you Mrs Bouquet.

Very few people have my phone number now so any iffy calls I want to know who they are and where they got my details from.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 09:13 »
Be careful, I just had a call from a very American sounding lady (automated voice) telling me that BT were terminating my Internet service because it had been compromised and to push button 1 for support etc.  :ohmy:
Ended the call and looked up the number. The search result was in Chinese-style writing........

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 11:59 »
We never answer the telephone unless we recognise the number displayed. Usually, when the answer phone kicks in the caller hangs up. If it’s genuine they should leave a message so we can get  back to them.

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 14:55 »
I have to say thanks Mum for that info regarding BT internet that we had today needless to say I soon ended the call all these people a pain in the R/S  :mad:

xx
Attempted telephone scams

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

17 Replies
Last post August 26, 2023, 06:23
by Growster...
xx
two possible scams?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

20 Replies
Last post November 03, 2022, 17:18
by rowlandwells
xx
Another two scams.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post March 30, 2021, 07:06
by Growster...
xx
on line scams

Started by dugless on Chatting on the Plot

16 Replies
Last post June 20, 2020, 15:27
by Blackpool rocket

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 39 queries.