Ill hen :(

• 7 Replies

helens-hens

Ill hen :(
« on: December 18, 2011, 08:50 »
One of my hens (approx 2 years old, rhode rock type, wormed 2 months ago, laying up to this week & in general good health till now) is looking very sorry for herself. First thing yesterday I noticed she was slightly quiet and didn't have as much breakfast as usual. A few hours later there was the remains of a soft shell egg in the run which I am assuming is hers. By this time she was standing hunched up, feathers fluffed up etc. I put this down to the softie as I know it can effect them, so didn't worry too much.

She stayed the same for the rest of day, eating nothing bar a small amount of pellet porridge which I managed to tempt her with.

Unfortunately it is the same story again today. She ate a very small amount of pellet porridge and I managed to hand feed her a few bits of fresh corn (from corn on the cob). I have noticed that some of her droppings are quite green (though she hasn't been eating any greens).

Am a bit worried as this is now day 2. She stands by the hedge looking very sorry for herself, doesn't seem to be preening or interested in anything  :(

Just wondering if anybody has any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Helen

kegs

Re: Ill hen :(
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 13:19 »
Laying a soft shelled egg does take it out of them.  You could try giving her a warm bath for a while as this may help her pass any of the egg that may still be inside.  Dry her with a hairdryer on 'warm' (not hot).  Make sure she has a drink if you can and if she's still the same tomorrow then a trip to the vets may be in order.  Good luck.

Chicken_Lover

• Experienced Member
  • R.I.P you two beautiful ladies:(
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 14:07 »
There is some medication for this but I can't seem to remember what it is called. Just to be warned, and I'm not trying to worry you or anything, but my warren had similar symptoms and died like a week after.

I hope yours gets better! 
1 Leghorn Cockerel, 2 Warrens, 4 Lemon Goldfish and 1 Jack Russell, One Big Party!!!!!! :D :D

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 14:39 »
Helens-hens,

Watch out for a prolapse. This is sadly what happened to the hen I posted about on my soft egg thread and I'm now assuming that the softie of a couple of days ago was hers. Not sure there was much I could have done about it anyway even if I had spotted it earlier.

Good luck.

Ben

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 15:03 »
Thanks v.much for the replies. I have spent most of the day so far trying to encourage her to eat etc.

Late morning the sun came out and shone in the corner of the garden. It has been cold here so I scooped her up and popped her in the sun and it seems to have perked her up a bit. She has eaten a little, preened, drunk water & generally seems more interested in her surroundings. She still is having spells of just standing with tail down and feathers fluffed up but not all the time. I am hoping she may have turned the corner but I will keep a close eye on her.

Thanks again for the advice, I'll let you know how she gets on.

Chicken_Lover

• Experienced Member
  • R.I.P you two beautiful ladies:(
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 18:53 »
Please do, try to get her to drink a lot, but not too much because she may get a blocked crop. And then she'd be sick and you know- please keep me posted. I really want her to get better. 

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 23:12 »
I would go with what kegs says about a warm bath.  I have a Bovan Goldline which has been prone to soft shelled eggs and she always looks a very sorry sight when she is laying them.  I have found that it is usually a double yolker gone wrong and the two yolks are released in quick succession.  This makes it impossible for the hen to produce 2 egg shells one after the other and they have soft shells on both eggs.  These are very difficult for the hen to lay but the warm water does help.  You will find that once the second egg is laid she should be back to her usual self.  You will rarely find the softie as the hens will eat it given half a chance.

Try not to give her any treats, no corn.  Best to stick to layers pellets and make sure she has access to oyster shell at all times so she can help herself.  If the second egg has broken inside the hen you will sometimes see the white dripping from the vent.  Keep an eye out for any other symptoms and keep us up to date. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

helens-hens

Re: Ill hen :( Update
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 10:57 »
Just a little update on Henrietta. Though much improved from the weekend, she still wasn't as active and didn't have as much of an appetite as she should, so yesterday I took her to the vets.

She checked inside and couldn't find anything untoward but to to be sure has put her on a course of Baytril and also gave us some Avipro to put in her food.

She seems better again today so will keep fingers crossed that she makes a full recovery.

She hasn't layed since the softie on Saturday but if she does am I right in thinking there is an egg withdrawal period for this AB? (vet didn't mention anything).

With many thanks

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 39 queries.