Chickens not laying eggs

• 4 Replies

donna nash

Chickens not laying eggs
« on: June 15, 2007, 10:34 »
Hi ive recently rescued 4 chickens from slaughter and absolutely love them, i have been feeding the layers mash and they have been snacking on corn, they have a warm hen house with straw and plenty of fresh water, when i first rescued them they laid eggs quite a bit for a few days probably due to being battery hens and thats all they did, now they have stopped, am i doing something wrong, i bought two fake eggs and popped them in there hose, can someone help please thankyou

ivanhoe

Chickens not laying eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 10:52 »
Hi,  normally they will stop laying due to new surroudings when moved.Do you know how old they are . ivanhoe.

donna nash

Chickens not laying eggs
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 11:26 »
Hi yes i think they are a yr old, ive noticed that the balder one keeps being nasty to the others too. I dont mind so much they are not laying but my kids loved fetching the eggs, im glad i recsued them, ive learnt alot on this site, like my hens shouldnt be poooing in there nesting boxes, but dont know how to stop that when they are aleep at night

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Chickens not laying eggs
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 11:45 »
Hi and welcome to the forum,
They will need some time to become adjusted to their new surroundings, when they get stronger try to encourage them to roost on a perch, birds tend to drop 2/3 of their poo just before bed time, you may have to cover the nest boxes up for a day or two in the afternoons to stop them going in to sleep in them, with care and patience they should be fine.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

donna nash

Chickens not laying eggs
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 12:02 »
Hi thanks for the reply, they seem very contented which is nice, they make me laugh when i let them out in the morning as they come out one by one making little noises. I will block off there nesting part then as they have a perching area too.

xx
chickens laying rotten eggs

Started by judith on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 16, 2006, 00:38
by muntjac
xx
Chickens are laying Soft Eggs...help needed please!

Started by megmeg on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 10:26
by wafflycat
xx
My Chickens stopped laying eggs for months!

Started by zena_warrior_chicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 19, 2009, 12:43
by too many girls
xx
Laying less eggs

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 13:00
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 35 queries.