Greenhouse Door

• 6 Replies

Mudge

Greenhouse Door
« on: May 09, 2012, 18:39 »
Hello All.

I open my greenhouse door every morning on my way to work and close every evening.
Should I be leaving it closed on the cooler days?
Toms, cucumbers, peppers and chillies are in there at the moment.
Thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Greenhouse Door
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 18:41 »
Welcome to the site and feel free to pop over to the Welcome Board for a proper welcome  :)

I'm going to move this over to the Greenhouses board for an answer  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 20:04 »
Ah the old greenhouse door morning lottery !

I try to predict door and window settings (and shading) to give about 20deg C max.  But better too cold than too hot. So if I get back and the max-min thermometer has topped 30 deg C I know I haven't opened the door wide enough !

And on a lot of grey damp days like now, I open the door anyway for ventilation.
Today the door has been shut all day - so tomorrow it will be half-opened come what may.

Toms should be OK with the door open. 10 deg C min as a rule.
But the others need the warmth 18 deg min and a steady temp and no drafts

But don't listen to me, I've fried three lots of seedlings in the greenhouse already this year. And all my cu's have died :tongue2:
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

Mudge

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 13:12 »
Thanks for that.
Seems sensible advice.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 13:21 »
I find my automatic roof vent opener is very useful, especially on the days which don't turn out as forecast so you get the door routine wrong!  8)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 23:07 »
I have an auto roof vent but as it is only a 8 x 6 greenhouse  there is only one opening window in the roof.  I have found it really needs two openings on a hot day so that the cool air goes in the door and the warm air out the roof vent.  I tend to tweak the auto vent to open earlier, or always remain slightly open, if I think it will be very sunny.

Have occasionally wondered about installing a second roof vent,  but it would be £60 or £70 with another auto-opener and not convinced it would be worth it.  BUT then I wouldn't have to worry about the passing cats strolling in through the open door to take advantage of my  greenhouse borders for a nice warm litter tray.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 10:36 »
Yes I'm sure two vents at opposite ends and sides of even an 8X6 (like mine is) would work a lot better, but in my case the second one would face the prevailing winds, and on slightly weird days like today (sunny but very windy) the thought of 70 quids-worth of autovent wide open into the wind is not a comforting one!

Although the door doesn't face the prevailing winds they don't always blow from the same direction - it can be quite a tricky balancing act at times!   :unsure:

xx
When to open Greenhouse door?

Started by Ghost on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

20 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 11:18
by Ma Lowe
xx
Greenhouse door fly screen

Started by Goosegirl on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 13:51
by Goosegirl
xx
When is it too hot in a greenhouse?

Started by Yana on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 10:46
by Yana
xx
Greenhouse already 35 oC

Started by hubballi on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 12:41
by hubballi

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 38 queries.