white rot in garlic

• 30 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: white rot in garlic
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 18:48 »
There are patches of it spread over the site apparently :( One OB showed me the gaps in his onion bed....quite a few missing where he'd been removing the worst.

My onion bulbs looked ok, but the foliage had started to flop. So I I lifted one to see what it was like and the roots had rotted away, so there was nothing holding it into the soil, and the bottom of the bulb had white mould on it. OBs seemed to think that it was White Rot..I've never seen it before!

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 16:34 »
Sadly, i think i have a problem with this too on my onions :(.

several of my Hurcules onions have died off and whilst weeding they have come away out of the soil and look rotten at the base.  i have removed the ones that look infected as the majority still look ok.  My Snowball all look fine, i am hoping that it is a bad batch of 'sets' or the weather conditions rather than this problem but time will tell.  I havent ever had this problem before.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 18:18 »
White rot seems extra bad this yr  :(

One of my friends from a different site tells me the commitee are going to suggest a site ban on alliums. I cant see the point in this as if in 20yrs they lift the ban and i or anyone else walks on it they have white rot again. He is going to bring this up at the meeting.

Its intresting to see you have no white rot Yorkie all our site is riddled with it  :(.

The only one who doesnt get white rot is one old chap who sprays his with an illegal substance, which works! but not for organic me. I wont say what it is as the internet police will get me, but anyone wants to know pm me (am i allowed to say that even?)
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 18:27 »
No you're not MW  >:(

Some people on my site have it, and I suppose the risk is always there that I will transfer it to my own plot or home garden by contamination on my boots.

Our site is shaped like a capital L.  The heel / middle area is quite a bit higher than the extremes.  I'm halfway down the short length, the white rot is currently isolated towards the bottom of the long length, where it is wetter.  Although the fungus will travel through the water table, I'm hopeful that it won't work its way up the hill and down again!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 18:42 »
I'm getting the impression from recent posts that there is a lot of this nasty fungus appearing in quite unexpected circumstances; we all know that potato and tomato blight spores are airborne and can affect anyone anywhere in the right (wrong!) circumstances, but as I understand it allium white rot has to be "imported" via already infected soil or plant material to cause a problem in previously clean soil.

Can't help wondering where the infections are coming from; could it be that the increased use of "council compost" in commercial products is something to do with it?

I'm sure we all like to think that bought compost is sterilised before sale but how do we know that is actually true 100% of the time?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

plum crumble

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 18:47 »
I suspect the same as you JayG. The old boys on the site are using things I am sure they shouldn't be doing to try and get rid of it. :ohmy: It's very upsetting to see everyone having to pull up and burn their alliums.
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 18:52 »
We often see posts where blight is assumed to be the problem, but in fact isn't - and I wonder whether this similarly the case in some cases of affected alliums?

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 19:19 »
Thats what i am hoping for with my onions....hopefully it is a bad batch or the weather conditions...time will tell ::)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 21:06 »
I just hope with the worse cases this yr my leeks will be ok, they normally are.

Elaine G

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 00:02 »
We have white rot on our site too.
I went to a Q&A session on Wednesday night where we were advised to grow from seed if we had white rot as it was imported on the sets.
I was going to post a question about which onion seeds to buy but I guess he was wrong  :(

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 11:15 »
I'm wondering if the damp / wet weather we have all recently had is causing the problem. I have previously grown alliums in my plot with no problem whatsoever, as have others on my site.

This year there seems to be sporadic rots appearing in garlic and onions particularly where there has been no previously known problems. It is limited to one or 2 bulbs or so on each plot on our site. The strange thing is its not until you lift the plant that you see the rot..................the top growth is behaving the same on all plants, no early wilting or fading.

There doesn't seem to be any significant difference between those who started their onions / garlic in compost or directly in the plot, so compost contamination can't be a consideration in our case (although I agree the increased use of 'council compost' might need to be factored in in the future).

I'm going for the weather option as the cause at the moment, but will obviously be aware next season.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 13:34 »
I think the weather has contributed alot this yr to the 'extra'  white rot. But i dont blame the weather if u got it u got it, and if you havent im sure some friend has on the bottom of his shoe for you.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 14:56 »
I think the weather has contributed alot this yr to the 'extra'  white rot. But i dont blame the weather if u got it u got it, and if you havent im sure some friend has on the bottom of his shoe for you.

I agree if you have white rot you have it and its a genuine problem and certainly can't be blamed on the weather.

What I'm saying and I think one or two others might agree is that there is evidence of rot which doesn't seem to be consistent with the usual symptoms ie wilting fading plants before 'their time'.

As someone else has previously alluded to many old boys have generic diagnoses of what is wrong.................any dark spots on spuds is blight, even if the conditions for a smith period are not met (or even vaguely close), any kind of rot in alliums is white onion rot etc etc.

In my case I had 3 bulbs of garlic which were beginning to rot, their top growth appeared normal, and was in the same condition as the rest of the bed. When lifted there was no evidence of white rot at all. This is why I'm blaming the weather. Shortly before lifting my garlic we had torrential rain, having had none at all for months.

Rain around harvesting of alliums can be a bit of a death knell for them. They are beginning to die back naturally, rain comes along and cannot be taken up by the roots, sits around the plant which then succumbs to rot.

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2011, 15:31 »
Can anyone clarify exactly what to look for for white rot? I've pulled up one small bulb which was a bit rotten at the bottom, but the other onions are looking ok. One or two of them have one or two yellow leaves, and not all the leaves are completely upright - is this normal, or something to worry about?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2011, 15:45 »

xx
garlic and white rot

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 06, 2013, 18:46
by mumofstig
xx
white rot in garlic

Started by chimaera on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 15:00
by chimaera
xx
Had a shufty at my garlic and some are red and others white.........

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 10:49
by Sue33
xx
Is this White Rot on my Garlic? (Photo)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 21:51
by peterjf

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 55 queries.