Garlic Yet Again

• 9 Replies

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Garlic Yet Again
« on: September 28, 2006, 14:43 »
I bought some garlic sets locally this morning, and found them mouldy when i went to plant.

Can anyone tell me somewhere local to me, Selby area, where i can get some good garlic sets from?

Martin
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

greenie

Garlic Yet Again
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 12:05 »
Why not try the catalogues Zak? After looking around for my first garlic seeds, I discovered Tucker's Seed catalogue and they are very reasoanbly priced. They're online as well www.edwintucker.com

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Garlic Yet Again
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 12:41 »
thanks greenie, i had looked in T&M's, but got too ingrossed on the chilis page!

I took a drive up to Wyedales at Upper Poppleton this morning, got Germidour and Marco garlic there. Just finished planting them, and now its tipping down! Decided to split the bulbs into individual cloves, the Marcos has 12 or more in each bulb!

Ive not seen that particular seed catalogue, i will take a look

Martin

greenie

Garlic Yet Again
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 14:03 »
Quote from: "Zak the Rabbit"
Decided to split the bulbs into individual cloves, the Marcos has 12 or more in each bulb

Martin

Sorry, I'm new to this but isn't that how garlic is supposed to be planted? By cloves not the full bulbs?

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Garlic Yet Again
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 15:11 »
My first time with garlic as well, there seems to be some debate as best i can gather, as to whether to plant as whole bulbs or not.

Seems quite illogical though to me, surely if you plant one bulb, you get one bulb? If i plant 12 cloves, surely i will get 12 new bulbs?

Anyway, loads of them went in, probably over 50, and ive still a couple dozen cloves left.

Martin

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Garlic Yet Again
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 15:33 »
Each clove will produce a new bulb. Certainly if you plant a whole bulb, each clove on that bulb will in turn produce a new bulb, but surely they're all going to be cramped in & small.

It's like shallots. If you save your own, you wouldn't plant a whole clump, you'd split 'em up.

Mine will shortly going in - single cloves, 1" deep. By the time the green shows through, there's a good root and the birds can't pull them out.

Don't bother with elephant garlic, (IMHO). The result might look impressive, but there's little flavour.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Garlic Yet Again
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 15:37 »
I noted that in the catalogues. seems elephant garlic isnt  a true garlic, but i big ended leek.

Flavour is certainly what i want, i absolutely love garlic, and the bigger the clove the better for me.

Martin

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Garlic Yet Again
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 16:03 »
Quote from: "Zak the Rabbit"

Flavour is certainly what i want, i absolutely love garlic, and the bigger the clove the better for me.

Martin

I think you meant the stronger, not bigger. That's the whole point I was making about Elephant Garlic. It's big but not strong!

Jake

• Rockers
Garlic Yet Again
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 16:31 »
I like big cloves of garlic for roasting as they go quite light in flavour anyway when roasted.

My wife makes this lovely rosemary and garlic olive oil which is great for dipping bread in, then put salami on top. Its got to be small cloves for that.

Has anyone tried cultivating wild garlic? I've never even tasted it or even seen it in real life.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

greenie

Garlic Yet Again
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 16:43 »
Jake,

I've never tasted wild garlic but I've heard that rocambole garlic is quite close to it in flavour. So I've been looking for this latter type. The purple moldovan heritage garlic that several of the catalogues are carrying this season is apparently a rocambole so I am going to try it out.

xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
xx
Garlic- will it come up?

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 22:47
by AndyRVTR

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 35 queries.