Henrys Handy Hints Number Whatever and 1

• 14 Replies

mkhenry

« on: September 17, 2007, 23:29 »
It will soon be winter and many of you will soon be cutting your winter Kale on a "cut and come again" basis.

When you do cut the leaves its a good idea to cut at an angle, about 45 degrees would be great.

This helps to prevent rot and disease,plus aids water run off. Keeping the cut and the plant fresher for the next cut. :lol:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

gobs

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 00:05 »
you  are making his up, surely  aren't yyou?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 00:08 »
no he aint ,and he knows his stuff :wink:  :lol:
still alive /............

gobs

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 01:57 »
Is he, so how are both measuring the angle of your cuts in them Feb March gales whilst harvesting them, any practical advice on that scientific exercise?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 07:33 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Is he, so how are both measuring the angle of your cuts in them Feb March gales whilst harvesting them, any practical advice on that scientific exercise?

The keyword with reference to the angle was "about"!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Think I've still got one of my old school protractors somewhere.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

piskieinboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 08:41 »
The keyword with reference to the angle was "about"

thank goodness for that  :lol:
in need of getting in the garden

gobs

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 09:52 »
Thanks, DD, that clears it up, must have been too sleepy and  missed that clue.
How it goes here, though is this: pick a slot, when it's not raining or blowing too much, try not to fall over on slippery paths, avoid treading on soil, lean over, free your coat off sticks and other support(don't get caught again), take due care not to break plant, and then, where on earth is me knife...oh, well, just tear them off.

mkhenry

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 17:33 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
no he aint ,and he knows his stuff :wink:  :lol:

Thank you Munty means a lot :lol:
And thank you to Digger.

Meanwhile Gobs all I am doing is passing on the wisdom of the various highly successful Gardeners I have met over a period of years.The hints are all tried and tested.These people had to produce the goods year in year out.Good,bad, wet,and super dry summers or winters they had to deliver and they did.I only give the hints they gave me in the hope that they will not be lost.They are now all gone and there will never be, or it is highly unlikely that they will ever be replaced.

The hints are there to help where possible.

All gardeners must and will do their own thing.

Think of the difference between a Cook and a Chef.

The chef takes a great big knife and a strawberry and in seconds cuts it up.
A cook takes a smaller knive and carefully trims then slices                                                                                                     Both get the job done.The results are almost the same.

Once you decide what type of gardener you are go for it.
Cook or Chef.Bash it in or plant it tenderly.

It all works.

Muntys got a saying and that is
WERKS for me,and thats how my hints should be taken.Read it and leave it or buy it and try it.
WERKS for me. :wink:

gobs

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 20:50 »
Oh dear, oh dear, what I got myself into...

Mea culpa, mea culpa!

I thought you were joking. The comparison with the chef and cook just reminds me of; is there a marked difference, how blokes and women do garden? Me and Jill said to Roger at the same time: oh, just chuck them in , for God's sake! Roger: no, no, no you cannot do that for so and so...

And I think Jill is one of the best gardeners around here( and has been around here since the 60s, I wasn't even born) but only one of them top guys would admit to that fact...

So I'm ever so sorry, almost certainly that's the best thing to do, if you have all the time in the world to follow the gardening school of your conviction to the letter but you see in nowadays hectic lifestyle, when people who work full or part-time, have got young family take on a garden this just seems to be overly circumspect.

And I think the same when I'm reading some old gardening books, WHICH ARE THE BEST TO BE HAD, but not practical for people, who are not full time gardeners with their plots attended to 20 years or so.

So dear mchenry do not take offense, none was intended.  :cry:  :oops:  :oops:

WG.

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 20:55 »
Mea culpa, mea culpa!
Latin too!  How many more languages have you got up your sleeve?  :D

mkhenry

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 21:03 »
Oh dear, oh dear, what I got myself into...

Mea culpa, mea culpa!

I thought you were joking. The comparison with the chef and cook just reminds me of; is there a marked difference, how blokes and women do garden? Me and Jill said to Roger at the same time: oh, just chuck them in , for God's sake! Roger: no, no, no you cannot do that for so and so...

And I think Jill is one of the best gardeners around here( and has been around here since the 60s, I wasn't even born) but only one of them top guys would admit to that fact...

So I'm ever so sorry, almost certainly that's the best thing to do, if you have all the time in the world to follow the gardening school of your conviction to the letter but you see in nowadays hectic lifestyle, when people who work full or part-time, have got young family take on a garden this just seems to be overly circumspect.

And I think the same when I'm reading some old gardening books, WHICH ARE THE BEST TO BE HAD, but not practical for people, who are not full time gardeners with their plots attended to 20 years or so.

So dear mchenry do not take offense, none was intended.  :cry:  :oops:  :oops:

Honestly I was not in the least offended it never came into it and I am sorry if that is how it came across.
I was merely pointing out that every one is different and chooses to garden in there own way.I will be posting 100s of these hints.Some will seem a little step too far.Others will be right up your street .Just be assured that they are all genuine and tried and tested.
As to not having time to slow down and just enjoy your lottie etc.I really feel so sorry for anyone who can not step off the wheel and slow down and enjoy the slower pace of life growing should bring.
So no offence taken whatsoever. :wink:
Remember this is the friendly allotment site.We all try to help each other :lol:

sweet nasturtium

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 11:11 »
mkhenry, back to your original post - it makes sense what you were saying by the way, it's what you do with trees & shrubs.  But, are you saying the cut should run across underneath or over the top?

Bearing in mind that I'm a total beginner and forget everything the books say and even what wise men and women tell me!

mkhenry

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 13:17 »
Quote from: "nasturtium"
mkhenry, back to your original post - it makes sense what you were saying by the way, it's what you do with trees & shrubs.  But, are you saying the cut should run across underneath or over the top?

Bearing in mind that I'm a total beginner and forget everything the books say and even what wise men and women tell me!

I mean to cut each leaf on a cut and come again basis.Kale can and should be cropped as required.When you do this the plant suffers a mild shock,and if there is any viruses around you reduce the chance of your hardy kale being infected.Plus you help water to run off,which also protects the plant. :wink:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 14:03 »
I am defo a bash it in kind of guy :)

muntjac

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 14:04 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"
I am defo a bash it in kind of guy :)

:shock:  antyyyyyyyyyyyyy :shock:

xx
Henrys Handy Hints No.Whatever And 3 Storing Onions

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 23:24
by mushroom
xx
Henrys Handy Hint Number 4

28 Replies
Last post June 02, 2007, 21:20
by Fat Hen
xx
Henrys Handy Hint Number 9 Moles

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2007, 16:42
by mkhenry
xx
Henrys Handy Hint Number 3 Lettuce

4 Replies
Last post May 29, 2007, 14:41
by flowerlady

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 38 queries.