Hayfever

• 22 Replies

ruffmesiter_69

Re: Hayfever
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 12:23 »
Quote from: "yummy"
Can anyone help? There must be some people in here who get hayfever.
How do you cope with it when you are on your plot please?

I just don't know what to do. I'm indoors and have been for hours now. I have taken more medication than I am supposed to yet I am now on my 9th pack of tissues for this evening, the skin around my nose is red raw and when I blow my nose I get blood coming out.

I have Telfast on prescription which is what they give to airline pilots apparently. I also have homeopathic medicine. I have been doing the local honey thing for a good couple of months now. None of the tablets on sale in the supermarkets/chemists do anything for me at all.

I had to go to the plot earlier and net our brassicas etc. That was 4 hours ago but I am still really bad.

Any hayfever secrets you can share with me please? How do you manage to sort your plot when it is like this?

Yours snottily

wear a surgical mask

milkman

Hayfever
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 14:22 »
I use a combination of standard OTC hayfever tablets and Beconase for my alternately blocked / runny nose (oooh having hayfever is fun isn't it!) which I can thoroughly recommend.  

Fortunately I don't suffer with itchy scratchy eyes so am not able to recommend anything for those.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Hayfever
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 14:36 »
I am suffering along with the rest of you.

Benadril is good for me.
Local Honey also works - I take it in lemon tea in the morning instead of sugar.
Try placing thin sliced cucumber on the eyes to cool them off after a bad attack - keeping your eyes closed!
I have an inhaler from the GP which also assist when it gets really bad.
When you are on the plot and weeding etc... remember not to touch your face and don't rub your eyes.  
Keeping the seedy grass cut short is essential - it depends what type of pollen is your trigger though.  I have noticed this year that the acacia tree pollen really effects me almost as bad as the grasses!
The face mask sound like it might work, but could be uncomfortable in the heat!

Summer will all to soon be over and we can forget the misery of hayfever and enjoy the fruits of our labour.
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

hermon

Hayfever
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 16:29 »
right i am going to bore you all with my knowlege have you been tested for wheat intollerance? i am very sensative to all grains from the grass family and since not eating wheat/barley/rye i have been nearly clear so far this year. i would advise being tested (not nhs as you only get a result if you have an allergy not an intollerance) wheat can stay in the body for 5 days and can take up to 2 days to give you a reaction so to test cut out for say 7 days then have wheat for a day ie breakfast, lunch and dinner then leave it for 2 days and note any symptom ie skin rash, bloating, wind :oops:  depression is also a symptom of a food intollerance.
hope this helps! i have had minor health irritations due to numourous food intollerances so i have a bit of understanding of this subject.

Growbag

Hayfever
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2007, 22:11 »
I too suffer.  Besides the prescribed tablets and nose spray from the GP I also use Opticrom eye drops which help a little with the itchy eyes.   If I can manage the willpower not to scratch them to bits until I use the drops then sometimes I can get away without ruining my eyes.   I swear the saggy areas under my eyes are due to rubbing them so badly over the years rather than old age.
From fork to fork

ziggywigs

Hayfever
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 22:29 »
Interesting that you mention that hermon.....i suffered terribly with HF for years and it wasn't until through other things that i found i was allergic to wheat so don't eat bread now or any other wheat based product...and surprisingly my hayfever is much better and reasonably well controlled.

I was found to be allergic to grass seed too as as a child.....came out in rashes if came into contact.

Pablo

Hayfever
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 12:03 »
Hi,
i suffer really badly too - i'd go along with the facemask suggestions.I'm currently taking Quercetin tablets,a tincture containing Elderflower,Mint,Eyebright,Liquorice,Mulberry & Chrysanthemum.Also Euphrasia (which you can ingest or use as an eyewash) and a tea containing Eyebright,Elderflower,Nettle and Peppermint.I make a huge pot of the tea in the morning and drink the lot.I'm quite surprised that no-one has suggested any of these remedies so far....Good Luck!
Brighton,East Sussex
Vegan Organic

yummy

Hayfever
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 18:19 »

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 38 queries.