Pro’s & Cons

• 2 Replies

Dan B

Pro’s & Cons
« on: February 16, 2020, 17:56 »
Hi. I’ve read books, trawled the internet and spoken to people who have had chickens, I’ve even looked at the Omlet Eglu Chicken Coops, which look fab!

However I’m really nervous about committing to chickens as I worry about chicken fights, what to do with poorly chicks, is it worth the hassle? I

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks
Dan

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Pro’s & Cons
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 18:59 »
I kept chickens for about 8 years in an eglu and thoroughly enjoyed them. They each have their own personalities and ways. Once they’ve sorted out the “pecking order” they live together mostly peaceably.

Yes, they do get a few problems but there’s lot’s of people here to advise you.  And the eggs are absolutely wonderful!!!!

I only stopped keeping hens when my holiday chicken sitters became too elderly to look after them for us.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Pro’s & Cons
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 20:55 »
I would say as a first step, decide what type of chickens you want, as there a few pros and cons just in that.

Hybrid birds bred for maximum egg production are good layers for a couple of years, then maybe have a couple or three more years to live without much in the way of eggs.  Are you going to keep them when they get unproductive or cull them and buy new birds.  The latter path means you need to stay a bit distant and not get too attached, but you will have a constant supply of eggs from hens that you feed and make sure are treated well.

Pure breeds space their laying out over several years and more erratic about when they do lay at all.  They are pets, with eggs as a bonus.  Having said that, I have had hens live to 10 years old and still lay the odd egg even at 5 or 6 years old.  An elderly, crotchety old hen is a brilliant creature to have around, if you can stand the constant tellings off  :lol: 

Whichever you choose, if you keep them in good housing, keep them clean, feed them well and have a regular routine for health matters like worms, they are very hardy and don't get ill that often.  Prevention is 9/10ths of it  :)

xx
Pros and Cons of Ducks

Started by Tensing on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2006, 18:11
by Rural Living
xx
Pro's and Cons of Battery Hens

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 00:47
by geoffwales
xx
Pros and Cons of keeping hens

Started by compostqueen on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post January 22, 2011, 23:20
by orchardlady
xx
newbie - what would be the pros & cons of ex bat hens?

Started by OscarInnes on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 18:36
by OscarInnes

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 43 queries.