fattening table birds

• 4 Replies

LILLILEAF

fattening table birds
« on: January 17, 2020, 22:25 »
Has any one fattened birds for there freezer?,i have some ross chicks coming in a month,how did you fatten yours,,tips welcome I have done a few breeds for the table this is the first time I have had the ross table birds to fatten.Lillileaf

LILLILEAF

Re: fattening table birds
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 20:07 »
The table birds have arrived they are 37 days old, they are huge, I shall be giving them lots of good food and some veggies, I am wanting to see if these birds fed and processed by myself will make a tasty roast.
The males should make 9lbs and the females should make around the 7lb mark.
Also bought some point of lay pullets which are 16wks,2 types leghorn hybrid and some warrens both types will lay up to 300 eggs per year here's to fresh eggs and lots of them :D

jambop

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 17:14 »
I don't know much about this part of the site but I bet if you had tabled a question such as " my new ex battery farm chicken saved from the abattoir has sore foot you would have been inundated with replies! Clearly you don't know that chickens are not for eating they are  nice little pets that have to be looked after. Of course you can eat the eggs... but if you have a cockerel ... you know it will be murder  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 20:55 »
All questions are welcome here but an answer can't always be guaranteed.  I have never fattened Ross birds, so I have no personal experience to offer and that is what was asked for.  Doesn't mean I am not interested to hear how it goes.  I eat chicken and I know it doesn't arrive in the supermarket by magic.

Ex bats/ meat birds/ egg birds / pets - doesn't matter.  If you want to discuss them or ask advice, go ahead  :) 

jambop

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 21:57 »
 Helloe
I just wanted to say that down here most of the locals who keep chickens feed then on crushed maize as the main food. I have to say the flavour of these chickens is second to none and the colour of the flesh and skin is a lovely golden colour not a pale and somewhat unpalatable pinky/ white . Yes the old Frenchies know how to dish up a decent bit of grub.. foie gras , magret de canard and confit de canard together with all the spin off epicures ( hearts, gizzards, gratons de canard and not forgetting the necks) make the SW of France a haven for those who like their grub!

xx
Fattening up for the table

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 18:07
by Foxy
xx
Table Birds

Started by Fredjones on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 11, 2009, 10:28
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Table Birds

Started by Caralou on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 00:16
by Caralou
xx
Best table birds????

Started by Brad26 on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 08:49
by Sassy

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 45 queries.