All my fruit trees seem to have leaf curl

• 9 Replies

Beetroot queen

All my fruit trees seem to have leaf curl
« on: May 24, 2013, 21:07 »
When I unwrapped a few all I found was White fly and one green fly. It's affecting the plum and pears. Any ideas on what to do with them its quite severe. I did wonder why the trees have been sporting a large flock of small birds every day.

Will they still fruit even if they look terrible, they came through lovely at the start

Trillium

Re: All my fruit trees seem to have leaf curl
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 04:58 »
What do you mean by unwrapped them? Did you wrap them for winter or something? Or were they wrapped from the seller?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 06:27 »
Unwrapped a leaf to see what was going on. These trees have been I the ground for a few good years

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 02:32 »
If you want to be organic, then your can spray with organic soap, although sounds like the small birds are doing a good job of eating them. Just make sure you give the trees the best chance of growing away from this stress, water well and perhaps give a mulch of well rotted manure.( Aphids will go for plants under stress, so if slightly dehydrated by excessive winds etc)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 06:56 »
If you want to be organic, then your can spray with organic soap, although sounds like the small birds are doing a good job of eating them. Just make sure you give the trees the best chance of growing away from this stress, water well and perhaps give a mulch of well rotted manure.( Aphids will go for plants under stress, so if slightly dehydrated by excessive winds etc)

I'll give it a try. Thanks

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 09:23 »
Ok an addition to this problem popped into the front garden tondo recycling and my sloes are covered in White fly type aphids. What on earth is going on, it's like something out of the great plaques  :blink: I threw a bowl of used washing up water over them as my nan always swore by it and never had an aphid problem. It's water too so it won't hurt.

This organic soap how to I get it righ to the top of my fruit trees, I have a spray can that connects to the hose but I will end up washing next doors house too  :ohmy:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 10:32 »
I have nearly solved the white fly on my sloes. I didnt get round to using the provado as it never stayed dry enough for a few hours without a shower here and there but the hedge needed a trim so that is what t got. Since giving it a haircut the white fly etc have almost vanished. Probaby not a great cure in the long run but its better than it was.  :lol:

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 15:15 »
I have nearly solved the white fly on my sloes. I didnt get round to using the provado as it never stayed dry enough for a few hours without a shower here and there but the hedge needed a trim so that is what t got. Since giving it a haircut the white fly etc have almost vanished. Probaby not a great cure in the long run but its better than it was.  :lol:

They will go for the young juicy and tastier leaves, the old leaves will build up toxins to protect them from aphids so you have cut off the nice juicy leaves and left the older ones.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 15:45 »

They will go for the young juicy and tastier leaves, the old leaves will build up toxins to protect them from aphids so you have cut off the nice juicy leaves and left the older ones.

Touching wood they dont seem go have gone for the new growth.  :wacko:

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member

xx
covering fruit tree's over winter and spring to protect against leaf curl?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 06, 2016, 13:26
by 3759allen
xx
Fruit Trees in Leaf

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2011, 21:02
by gobs
xx
Leaf Curl?

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 22:00
by lucywil
xx
peach leaf curl

Started by digby on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 19:46
by digby

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 36 queries.