Squash/pumpkin in manure bin?

• 4 Replies

Totty

Squash/pumpkin in manure bin?
« on: March 26, 2012, 21:52 »
I have two of the large dalek type composters and they are filled to within around 8 inches of the top with horse manure. I collected it around 5 weeks ago and it was around a month old then. By the time i plant any squash or pumpkins the manure will have been rotting for about 3-4 months by then. I was thinking about maybe filling the bins to the top with good soil and compost, then planting right on top. Will they thrive or die when they bury the roots into to rich stuff?

Trillium

Re: Squash/pumpkin in manure bin?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 22:00 »
Nope, it's still too fresh. Horse manure needs a very minimum of 6 months to break down; even then, I wouldn't use it myself but would wait a few more months.

Fresh could be used as the 'base' for a hotbed for the heat, but not as an actual growing medium, not until its older and lost all its smell and potency.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 22:24 »
Don't forget that things drop in height as they compost.  Your plants will end up growing from about 1' down the bin, if not more!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 07:04 »
Hi, i grew my courgettes in the top of my pallet compost bin last year, it was filled in mid November with very fresh horse manure and i planted them out in it in mid April with fleece over the top to start with. The plants loved it, but the only drawbacks i found were the manure will rot away to about a quarter of the original height by late summer, leaving the plantsright at the bottom and also you cant use any of that lovely compost or add to it until the autumn when the plants have finished.
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Totty

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 17:54 »
Ok thanks for the replies. Ill see how the bins look at planting time. If i have a foot or more of soil on top i may just have a go. If its still smelly looks green ill leave it

xx
Pumpkin? Squash?

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 20:10
by NickoV
xx
pumpkin/squash not very big at all!

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 19:02
by Zak the Rabbit
clip
Squash or pumpkin ?

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 21, 2014, 21:30
by fatbelly
xx
Squash/pumpkin

Started by grenhouse on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 08, 2009, 22:52
by Sir Growalot

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 35 queries.