Im new and have lots of questions!!!

• 0 Replies

Saffichook

Im new and have lots of questions!!!
« on: April 21, 2010, 12:06 »
been keeping chickens now for 8 years! My oldest are two perky polands by the names of Betty and Blondie! I have bluebele named lily 2 brahmas named saffi and sonia, 2 silkies named stella and JD both hens and a milecent hen named Henny ^^

this year ive had some really bad luck one of my bluebeles sadly died two weeks ago suddently after having sour crop is it contagious? I treated her as best as I could emptying her crop but she just kept drinking a lot of water which repeated refilled her crop! Eventually she died the following day after going down hill.

Now i have another problem one of brahmas has fallen ill in a very short space time she fine when i let her out but by the end of the day wasnt acting herself and had seperated herself from the flock so something was definately wrong i moved her into another run on her own and she didnt drink at all or eat but this morning shows signs of interest in food and water though mainly water after ringing some vets ive been advised to move her indoors which i have done she has food and water and is in the warmest room in the house but is showing less signs of getting better. I am very concerned as she is just so thin her crop is normal so im convinced its not sour crop but empty she has all ways been scrawny but is in such bad condition this year. She is having a hard time doing poos the only ones she seems to manage is thick gooy white and foamy in a sort snail trail type way, her tail is down she is standing and still looking around but i can see she is not herself at all i plan to take her to vets but i wont be able to do that till friday when i get paid as im on low income and i dont trust my local vets due to poor service and the only avian vet i know is very good but pricey >.>

if anyone can offer any advice or theorys it would be a great help as id rather not loose another hen. I have three different flocks the bluebele that died was in a different run and has never had contact with the brahmas as they dont get on!

I am feeding her a combo of layers meal wet, scrambled eggs mixed with dried oregano herbs she has fresh water too and has made herself at home on some towels under a desk looking quite cosey!

Is it possible to tell the age of a chicken? How long do brahmas live for?? Mine is two years old i know this as she was still growing when i got her i know brahmas being large are slow to mature do they live shorter life spans then other breeds??

xx
Lots of Questions!!

Started by FRUITFULL on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 04:19
by mother hen
xx
Beginner.......with lots of questions!!

Started by momo32 on The Hen House

48 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 00:04
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Lice - lots of questions

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 13:23
by Sassy
xx
Newbie - lots of questions!

Started by Louby Jones on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 09:35
by Casey76

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 39 queries.