Egg bound hen

• 11 Replies

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
Egg bound hen
« on: December 02, 2009, 09:36 »
Gertrude is looking generally under the weather ... but not extremely so. She sits hunched up from time to time, but is eating well and getting about the garden with the others.

From 3-4 eggs a day from the four ex-batts, we're now getting 2 and occasionally 3. I think I can feel an egg inside Gertrude, so yesterday I gave her a warm bath, to which she didn't object! And we did have a third egg yesterday, but no knowing who laid it (I can't always tell them apart).

This morning, she's much the same. She's just now had a warm bath, longer this time as we're both a bit more used to it, and I had a gentle feel inside ... I think there's an egg about 3cms in from the vent, quite soft. From her belly, I'd say there's another a bit further up, too?

I've read the posts about dealing with an egg bound hen, but am not sure what else I can do at this stage? Gertrude once laid an egg with a soft end ... but other than that we've not had any softies.

Any other suggestions/advice?
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

dizzylizzie

Re: Egg bound hen
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 09:55 »
Hi, i probably wouldnt keep examining her, there is a risk of intruducing infection, stressing her out, of even breaking any eggs that are on route, then you really would have a problem!. As long as she dosent seem very poorly, leave her to it, but just watch her. Ive only had experiance twice with egg bound girls, both times they were very poorly, they wernt doing chickeney things, they were very quite, not eating/drinking. looking hunched/ruffled...not really interested in anything. Both times , they looked like they were on their last legs, Both times a long (at least 40mins)deep, (covering their vent), warm bath did the trick. mine loved being dried with a hair dryer, and both laid shortly after. With rest and TLC they were back to themselfs in no time.CAn i ask, if she laid yesterday, what makes you think she is egg bound, maybe she just hasnt had enough time to lay yet? You can expect egg production to go down at the moment due to shorter daylight hours, so dont worry if your not geting your ususal amount,as regards your hen, if she is still interested, and eating and drinking, i would just leave her with her flock, but keep an eye on her :D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:57 by dizzylizzie »

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 13:57 »
I'm not sure it was her that laid yesterday ... I'm fairly sure it wasn't, but can't be certain. *sigh* Poor girls.

No, I won't examine her again, I just wasn't sure that what I was feeling on the outside was what I thought it was!

She can persuade herself to eat, esp treats, but between whiles she's just miserable.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 14:01 »
Just keep a close eye on her, maybe pop her somewhere dark and warm if she gets any worse, and if your still worried about her, pop her along to the vets :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 15:21 »
Give her some extra calcium, I use limestone flour, but bio yogurt is a good quick source, but not for prolonged use.

Calcium will help muscles contract to expel the egg and will improve the shell quality.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 19:31 »
External LINK removed by Admin.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 19:41 by Aunt Sally »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 19:38 »
Do please tell us how she is rather than giving a link off the site beulah59.  I'm sure everyone here is waiting to hear !
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 19:41 by Aunt Sally »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 08:16 »
Any news yet on how she is?
Staffies are softer than you think.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 15:10 »
We had thought that as long as she was able to eat and get around, we’d let things take their course, but after three days with no improvement, and Gertrude still hunched up with the pain, we took a trip to the vet and left her there.

Of course, he offered to treat her … but the principle behind rehoming ex-batts was to end their suffering, and you can’t explain to an animal that though the treatment might hurt, they will feel better in the end. By this time, her belly was hot to the touch, and the skin featherless and red. So he gave her an injection, and long before she stopped breathing, she simply went to sleep with relief from the pain. It was her time.

Gertrude was with us for three months – it doesn’t seem long, but I hope it was long enough that the memories of the cages had passed.

noshed

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 15:17 »
That's a shame. Better to end her pain though.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

treacleminer

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 15:18 »
I'm sure you have done the best thing for her Beulah - and gave her a free and happy life for a while.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 15:22 »
Sorry - didn't feel like repeating myself at the time :(

xx
egg bound

Started by andrewandkaren on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 13:44
by hotterotter
xx
Egg bound

Started by tonethebone on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 15:48
by Flowerpower136
xx
EGG BOUND

Started by barley on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 07, 2014, 17:02
by grinling
xx
Egg bound

Started by suep on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 12:06
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 39 queries.