How to grow garlic

• 4 Replies

garddwr

How to grow garlic
« on: August 31, 2008, 16:31 »
Can anyone tell me what do I need to do to supermarket cloves to plant them and when do I plant ?
thanks

Trillium

How to grow garlic
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 16:50 »
Some people have luck with supermarket garlic, most don't. They're usually grown in much warmer countries than your own which also calls for a different growing season type which is linked to daylight hours.

But if you want to try it, then in Sept to Dec, depending on your weather conditions and ground freeze, separate the heads into cloves and leave the paper coverings on. The soil should already be well prepped with compost, old manure, bonemeal and whatever else you can put in. Dib 2" (5cm) deep holes that are about 8-12" (20-25cm) apart  and place one clove, pointy end up, into the hole and cover. Finish your row and place a marker at one end so you don't forget it's there and accidently dig. Some people have a lot of pigeon trouble (the pests like to pull out sprouting garlic) so you'll need to somehow net the area.

Otherwise, leave this until mid/late July when it's harvest time. Keep well weeded, (I mulch mine) and if the season is dry, water often. If any flowering heads form, snap them off asap. Harvest when the foliage looks like it's dying.

garddwr

How to grow garlic
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 16:56 »
Which varaiaties can be grown here ? And bought in the garden centre ?

orfy

• Experienced Member
How to grow garlic
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 17:30 »
Anything bought in the garden centres can be grown here.

SG6

How to grow garlic
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 19:55 »
garddwr: I grew supermarket garlic with success this year. It possibly came out a little smaller then the cloves you buy but not much if at all. Odd it is crunchier.

As has been said it is easy to raise but there is one thing to be aware of. In order that the garlic forms the multi clove bulb it needs to get cold. Not sure that the winters we get will be sufficent. I placed my cloves in the fridge for about 3 weeks, possible more. Then planted them. Got 15 nice garlic 3-4 weeks ago.

If you wanted to purchase more appropriate garlic google the garlic farm. They sell garlics that are bigger for home growing. But getting a decent garlic from the supermarket ones is satisfying.

xx
How to grow garlic

Started by Yvie on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 22, 2014, 10:26
by JayG
xx
Will garlic still grow with no leaves

Started by stooby doo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2012, 17:28
by DD.
xx
Garlic - can I grow in pots?

Started by Helen_uk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 08, 2009, 23:54
by Trillium
xx
Elephant garlic - advice on how to grow

Started by ghost61 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 17, 2014, 16:58
by ghost61

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 38 queries.