Pixie cat not doing well

• 10 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Pixie cat not doing well
« on: March 19, 2023, 11:21 »
Pixie cat's kidney problems make me extra sensitive to any behaviour changes. Friday night she didn't eat her tea or touch poached chicken breast. Saturday morning she was lethargic and not interested in eating at all so up to the vets.
They kept her in and gave her fluids with a drip whilst running tests and so on. Her kidney function has deteriorated and she's a serious infection. White blood cells off the chart. She came home about 7pm and this morning she's a lot more lively, even eaten a small amount . Vet said it was a near thing and if she goes down again to consider what's kindest. She may have something other than the infection, like cancer but she's unlikely to survive a general anaesthetic so x-rays and ultrasounds are out.
We'll just have to play it by ear and hope she has a few months more. Quality not quantity,
A few pictures..
Pixie 14 weeks.jpg
Pixie-in-the-peppers.jpg
PixieFlower.jpg
pixie.jpg
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Pixie cat not doing well
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 11:28 »
Just found this from Feb 2009
Pixie Feb 2009.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 11:33 »
Fingers crossed for a few more months.

I love the look she is giving you in that last photo.  Human what are you doing?  Stop and attend to my needs - IMMEDIATELY!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 13:54 »
She was always a bit standoffish and skitty with us until the last few years. Still very demanding - trying to sleep with a cat sharing the pillow does require patience!
She's fast off in the window at the moment.
Pixie 190323.jpg

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 16:09 »
What a wonderful job you do for your cats, John.  She could not have a better home!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 16:16 »
It's sad when they get poorly, I hope you enjoy her company for a little while longer, at least..

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 20:56 »
Fingers crossed that you get to spoil her for a few months more
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 22:34 »
You're a good man John (and woman Val!). I have a friend who says (cleaned up for forum purposes) "The world is not a great place but you little creature, I'll make sure you have the best life possible".

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 23:59 »
Well she's perked up this evening and eaten about 100gr over half a dozen little meals. It's looking more positive at least. There's a new cat food that the vet suggested might help, Purina Hydra Care so Mr Smile on the Box is delivering a supply tomorrow.
Vet asked me to phone her tomorrow so we'll see what the plan is then.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 11:27 »
She woke me at 6:30am demanding breakfast - so I obliged. After second breakfast she'd eaten 100gr renal catfood and now she's had third breakfast of 50gr senior gourmet. She's looking a lot better :)
Think she'll need to go back for another blood test to check the antibiotics are doing what we want.
I know we're buying time but so long as she has a decent quality of life, so be it.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2023, 11:34 »
Just an update - Pixie had a check up on Tuesday and she's doing better than expected. She has an abscess on her gum so the vet actually mixed up a painkiller - metacam being contraindicated with CKD and an antibiotic.

Took a couple of days for things to kick in and is now eating really well.  Her BP is good so the Amodip is doing its job. Ordered 60 tabs online which is 120 days supply.

I'm not a morning person but normally she demands feeding around 6am. Today I awoke at 6am worried because she hadn't woken me up. When she saw me it was straight to the food and this morning she's had one and a half sachets of renal food plus some senior gourmet.

Expensive little creature, spending the kids inheritance :)

clip
Pixie Passed Today

Started by John on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post February 24, 2024, 17:49
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 52 queries.