Courgette

• 8 Replies

rowlandwells

Courgette
« on: July 02, 2022, 17:56 »
this is the fist time we have grew yellow courgette we always grow the green varieties so is there any difference between the yellow and the green  I'm asking those  those of you who grow the yellow varieties is there anything I should know about apart from the colour or taste the variety we are growing is Sunstripe any info much appreciated

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Courgette
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 18:46 »
The yellow ones never seem to grow as strongly as the green ones on my plot, but can't remember which varieties I tried. That's not much help, is it - sorry RW.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 20:18 »
I have grown yellow courgettes but as Mum says they don’t perform as well as the green ones. As a result I only grow green now. HH
Keep digging

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 20:55 »
My conditions are very different, but my yellow (variety is Butter Dish) grew very well.  The green ones (variety Black Beauty) never produced anything before our squash vine borers got them.  After some temperatures hitting 38 C and 39 C, the Butter Dish are alive, but no longer producing.

Bear in mind, by UK standards it is very hot and dry here.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 06:20 »
Our yellow courgettes (Orelia) are out-performing the green ones (Defender) at a rate of about three to one at the moment. Can't say I've noticed any particular difference in taste between the two but it is easier to see the yellow ones (normally manage to miss the odd green one and have it grow too big).

JacsH

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2022, 11:04 »
We've not had much difference between the two colours - both turn into a marrow the minute you turn your back on them. Slugs love either. Last year was Lemona and Green Bush; this year Lemona (which decided to germinate after I'd sown some Easy Pick Gold), Easy Pick Gold and 'Zucchini'. All doing slowly and yet to harvest anything although two tiny Lemona have set at least. Last year I was knee deep in them by now. The 'odd'-shaped ones - round etc, have never done well for us.

wolveryeti

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 00:53 »
For me the yellow ones have a milder, less bitter taste. I prefer the slight bitterness of the greens however.

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 14:44 »
we've had another bad year for courgettes, my third attempt at getting the seeds to grow has been more sucessful and I'm hoping we can get something to eat from them soon, I love courgettes and would eat them al day, they over the last two years havent loved me
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 18:08 »
I have one of each - a yellow round courgette and a normal shaped green one.  They are from a mixed pack of seed I was given.

So far we have had nothing, but I did check today and the yellow one is covered in baby fruit.  The green one has 1 so far.  OH is relaxing thinking there are none coming this year, but little does he know  :lol:

xx
our first courgette

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 07:21
by Rangerkris
xx
Courgette help please!

Started by BabyStar on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 19, 2012, 08:56
by BabyStar
xx
courgette

Started by rink123 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 19:30
by realfood
xx
courgette

Started by Bailz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 13:09
by arugula

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 46 queries.