protecting plot from bad neighbours

• 8 Replies

Hobovore

protecting plot from bad neighbours
« on: June 08, 2022, 21:09 »
Looking for some ideas as the title suggests.

So far this guy has fly tipped half a demolished building and asbestos on my plot. Planted a hedge and then proceed to shout and threaten me for damaging said hedge planted my side, claming my comitte told him to plant it there ( i confirmed with that it was a lie). Broken every 'agreement' that has been made with made. And constantly takes advantage of me having autism. He comes onto my plot without permission and moves thing around and makes demands on what I can and can not do on the plot.

I have a beehive that he has now threatened to destroy.

This guy belongs to a different set of allotments that back onto ours. I have gone to both committees mine and his but no one is interested in doing anything about it. I am also kind of stuck as it is the only site in the area that allows bees and rabbits.

The beehive represents a substantial investment and I am quite concerned about it, I have a trail camera point directly at it hoping he will not notice it tied in the tree. Though I suspect that will no do any good as my car was recently broken into and I got attacked in the street and the police could not appear to care less. I was wondering if there was anything I can do to protect it along with the vegetables I am growing. I was researching the uks slinkiest plants and was thinking of planting along 'his hedge' in hopes of the smell keeping him away.

any suggestions would be appreciated. Hopefully the autism has not me me too incoherent.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: protecting plot from bad neighbours
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 21:51 »
I am so sorry that this is happening to you.

Is your allotment site a council one, or a private one? This might make a difference to your options.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Hobovore

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 22:09 »
It is a private one. It allows everything from bees to horses excluding pigs so it is quite popular with the animal lovers being the only one in the area that allows them.

That said the neighbours site is a council plot I believe.

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 08:20 »
could you try going to the local paper with this it may make matters worse but he is obviously someone who is used to bullying to get his own way [are there no other plots further away from him] i hope this works out for you   good luck.
from bow like to grow

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 12:14 »
I would speak to other plot holders on your site and make them aware what is happening to you, they can maybe support you when they see him coming on to your plot, maybe ask your committee to erect a fence to keep him out and certainly speak up about the asbestos, it has to potential to harm everyone on your site and the council site aswell
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 12:56 by KalisDad »
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

geordiekev

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 13:52 »
If he is on a Council Plot, then speak to the council, they have a duty of care and also by him dumping stuff on your plot he is effectively creating a legal nuisance, and again the council have a duty to intervene. If he has dumped asbestos then this is a criminal offence and once again the council have a legal duty to act. you are on a private plot so to speak, your landlord also has a duty of care to protect you and their land from unwanted nuisance and illegal dumping. Unfortunately my response would be to have a friend have a quiet word with him.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 18:49 »
L’enfer c’est les autres 😱.

geordiekev

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 06:09 »
I agree, hell is other people.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2022, 20:14 »
    I would go back to your allotment committee (direct conversation would be best, if you can).  If you think is will help you getting your point across, have a friend or relative help you communicate with the committee.  Get your information VERY organized first. 
    • List all of the problems this bad neighbor has caused, the list would start with the worst problem.  If it were me, I would start with the dumping and asbestos (if you intend to say he dumped asbestos, make sure it is not something else, like fiberglass insulation)  Probably best to say he has conducted dumping, and you are concerned some materials could contain asbestos.
    • Continue your list through the other offenses, working from worst offenses, with less problematic issues further down the list.
    • Document as much as you can.  For example, take photographs of the waste that was dumped. Write down the reason that you know he did it (or why you believe he did it; there is a difference).  Make a habit of taking photos of your plot to document any changes you think he has caused.  Have any of your plot neighbors (or his plot neighbors) witnessed him on your plot, moving things, making threats, and so forth? If yes, ask if they would be willing to talk to your committee, if yes, write down their names and contact information, and what they can witness to.  Make one full copy of everything you plan to present to the committee as evidence; you keep a copy, the committee gets a copy.
    • If the committee won't help, indicate to the committee that you plan to go to the council or local authorities next. It is important to let them help, or indicate they won't help, before going to the next level
    • If the council/authorities won't help, go to the local media (newspaper, television) next. If you are comfortable with it, and think it may help, let them know that you are not neurotypical (or have autism if you prefer).
    • I wouldn't go planting noxious plants on his allotment.  Notify your committee about things you intend to "undo" on your plot to correct what he has done.

I don't know what the rules are regarding recording of conversations (video or audio) where you live.  You may want to find out.  If you must talk to him, and it is legal, having your phone in your shirt pocket, camera forward, recording a video clip while you are talking, could be useful (but don't draw attention to your recording).
Again, find out what is legal FIRST.

Good luck, I hope you can settle your problems with him.

[/list]
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 16:29 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
Shade from Plot Neighbours Rules

Started by brokenglass on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 13:15
by pigguns
xx
Protecting peas

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 14:19
by RichardA
xx
Protecting Brassicas

Started by ThePragmatist on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 04, 2013, 22:20
by Totty
xx
Protecting brassicas

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 02:37
by iwantanallotment

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 45 queries.