Grow lights - is this the new way ahead?

• 19 Replies

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
Re: Grow lights - is this the new way ahead?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2021, 07:37 »
I was advised by a really serious chilli grower to buy a couple of 100w, 6500k led daylight bulbs to start with...  they use no electricity at all, only 12w each and no heat whatsoever. I didnt want to spend any silly money until I knew if I wanted to grow chillies seriously.. they seem to be working OK.

Interesting..... I assume the bulb is used in a desk lamp directly over the chillis?

al78

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2021, 14:03 »
I was advised by a really serious chilli grower to buy a couple of 100w, 6500k led daylight bulbs to start with...  they use no electricity at all, only 12w each and no heat whatsoever. I didnt want to spend any silly money until I knew if I wanted to grow chillies seriously.. they seem to be working OK.

They clearly do use electricity. I think what you mean is they are low consumers of electricity. How can a 100w bulb only have a power of 12w?

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2021, 16:13 »
Probably equivalent 100W, same amount of light, but less power presumably.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2021, 19:21 »
just sown me chilli seeds so got me grow tent and light units out, the top one is the smaller 12w unit and the lower is the 300w unit, I have also turned it over so you can see the fans....
20210123_190853.jpg
20210123_190909.jpg
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Dekzion

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2021, 20:11 »
I've had a cheapo Chinatown pair of multi colour lights for approx 4 years now, They don't get anywhere near hot, the case feels more like lukewarm tea feels. They use very little power, so little that the missus never complains about them being on 12 hours a day, likewise the 12 inch aquarium under gravel heater that I stand my pot/s on.
The pic is a 10 month old Trinidad Perfume chilli, sown March 2020 and that particular plant provided >20 chillies.
I had 3 others last season, all outdoors after May. This one was brought in as the temperature dropped to 12 degrees and the roots were washed off, Then it was sprayed with Provanto all over and re-potted in larger pot with New Horizon Multi purpose. I'll wash and re-pot again in April ready to go out in May with some new seedlings. It's fed a week tomato feed every other day, it already has two fruits on it and as expected at this time of year it's making flowers and dropping them as the weather isn't quite right yet.
Grow lights do work well when used properly, they are cheap to run and keeps interest in the winter. I also have 8x5ft strip lights (LED 6000K) in my grow room where I grow microgreens for myself and friends.
trinidad perfume-min.jpg

xx
Anyone used grow lights???

Started by WhippetMaster on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 16:05
by jb
xx
grow lights

Started by maizey on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2018, 21:03
by maizey
xx
Hydroponics - Grow Lights = Happy buny

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 07, 2015, 21:16
by Auntiemogs
xx
Looking ahead!!!

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 14:54
by crh75

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 41 queries.