Growing maincrop potatoes for boiling

• 8 Replies

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
Growing maincrop potatoes for boiling
« on: January 01, 2021, 12:23 »
Hi Everyone,
I have been growing potatoes for a few years now, but have never had any success in growing maincrop potatoes that can be boiled, they normally all just go to mush, and not even suitable for mash as you can't get rid of the water completely. I have tried different varieties, Maris Piper, King Edward etc, but they all seem to be lousy for boiling.

I normally grow them in a trench and cover with MP compost then earth back on top. Then I earth them up as they grow. I buy the seed from a local reputable garden centre. The soil I grow them in is ph of 6.0, but is cloggy clay. I add soil improvers and manure every year, it is a lot better than it used to be, but still quite sticky when wet, and parts of it rock hard in dry spells in summer.

Just wondering if anyone has any constructive advice, if there's anything I can try at all, or is it largely dependant on weather and watering, or just luck ! I'm on the verge of just doing First Earlies, as they are ok, but then I can't store them for long.

I should add that my wife is a big fan of boiled potatoes, but not mash or chips, and as she's the head chef, I need to get it right  ;) ! Any ideas appreciated.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing maincrop potatoes for boiling
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 14:06 »
I'd try growing a waxier variety like Desiree, they tend to hold together a bit better than the floury varieties. 

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 14:28 »
Thanks mumofstig, I looked in my allotment diary, and I tried those a few years ago, only comment I wrote at the time was ' lots of tiny holes and bad parts '.  I'll give them another chance though, may have been my ground at the time. Ideally I want to do two varieties of maincrop, can you recommend another waxy one?

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 14:57 »
Maxine is another variety that's quite waxy like Desiree. JBA Seed Potatoes still have some in stock.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 15:00 »
I've had success with Ambo, Vivaldi, Pentland Javelin (can dig for earlies or leave to get bigger) and Charlotte but I don't grow on wet clay. My plot is at the top of the site, so is quite well drained, although like clay, it can set like concrete in a dry summer  ::)

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 15:12 »
My cheffie OH says it's not so much the variety of potato but how you boil it to prevent them going into a mush with too much water. He likes King Edwards as an all-rounder so he cuts them into thirds or halves depending on their sizes, puts them into a pan containing cold water and some salt, then gently boils them until you can poke a fork into their middles without them breaking up. This is all trial and error as it depends on how long it takes your hob to get your pan to boiling point and when you pop your fork into them (say 15 mins afterwards). He then takes the pan off the heat, drains out all the water, then pops the pan on the hob and shakes it so as to remove any remaining water without the pots sticking to the bottom of the pan. Once dry add butter and milk, cream or both, a bit of salt and black pepper, then mash them.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Mr Dog

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 15:21 »
(Sarpo) Kifli are a good option too - more like a 'new' potato with the plus of blight resistance. They also keep well.

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 15:29 »
Thanks everyone, plenty of options now.

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 17:16 »
Ok, sorted now, ordered from JBA, trial pack Desiree, and 2kg pack Maxine for mains, trial pack Maris Peer 2nd early, and 2kg pack Maris Bard for early.

Thats enough for 3 rows - mains, 1 row - 2nd early, and 2 rows - early on the plot that I have. So thanks for all the advice everyone ! Hopefully will be better this year.

xx
Maincrop Potatoes 2011 - What are you growing?

Started by TheSpartacat on Grow Your Own

58 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 00:04
by Marston
xx
Maincrop potatoes

Started by gardeningdave on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 08, 2018, 20:07
by mumofstig
xx
maincrop potatoes

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 21:56
by 3759allen
xx
maincrop potatoes

Started by frederick on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 25, 2016, 10:36
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 45 queries.