How late can you sow seed potatoe?

• 8 Replies

Eblana

How late can you sow seed potatoe?
« on: May 02, 2020, 09:20 »
Hi folks, our roadmap for returning to ‘normal’ has just been issued.  I haven’t been able to go to my plot because it is more than 2k from my house (we are only allowed more than 2k for essentials and travel to plot isn’t seen as essential travel so can’t drive to it this is being extended to 5k from Tuesday but still doesn’t get me to the plot).  Under the roadmap I will be able to go back to the plot from the 18th May, god only knows what it will be like as I haven’t been there since end of Feb.  I have some seed potatoes left (I put some into the garden) and I am wondering if it will be too late to sow them when I get back to the plot?

Mr Dog

Re: How late can you sow seed potatoe?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 09:39 »
They'll be fine, if a bit more susceptible to blight. Harvest will be a bit later than normal but a small price to pay. I've put main crop spuds in the ground as late as mid June here.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 11:14 »
Hi folks, our roadmap for returning to ‘normal’ has just been issued.  I haven’t been able to go to my plot because it is more than 2k from my house (we are only allowed more than 2k for essentials and travel to plot isn’t seen as essential travel so can’t drive to it this is being extended to 5k from Tuesday but still doesn’t get me to the plot).  Under the roadmap I will be able to go back to the plot from the 18th May, god only knows what it will be like as I haven’t been there since end of Feb.  I have some seed potatoes left (I put some into the garden) and I am wondering if it will be too late to sow them when I get back to the plot?

My plot got left last year due to a breakdown in health and I was concerned about what I would be greeted by on my return , it wasn't as bad as I expected and didn't take as long to whip it into shape as I expected which was a positive . I also took the approach that if there is always next year to look forward to.  I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised and will be eating those spuds before you know it. Good luck! :) :)
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

jambop

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 11:53 »
Only the start of May! Get them in and you will get some spuds later but still get them.

polo71

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 12:13 »
We put Charlotte's in the ground 3rd / 4th week of may last year cos we didn't get the plot till 1st week of may. We had no problems at all and had good crop and they were no later then anyone else.

Eblana

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 12:55 »
Thanks everyone that is brilliant.  I will keep them chitting until then and will start by getting the bed for them ready first.  I will have a busy couple of weeks from 18th May onwards.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 21:04 »
Hi,

You have plenty of time, I have planted them one year mid July and they were fine.
From planting to first lifting earlies to lates is supposedly  12 to 16 weeks which I find is not true as usually it takes about 4 weeks for them to emerge through the soil, then add your 12 to 16 weeks.

Best of luck,
Cheers!
STOP, and smell the roses!

lettice

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 10:53 »
Sowing them now will be just fine.
Not really a problem here, but expect some parts of the country still get frosts till mid May, so any sown will be quite dormant sown last month if they had some occasional hard frosts anyway.

Gillykat

• The Comfrey Patch
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 11:22 »
Very reassuring to hear this as I found a bag of Rooster (maincrop) in my shed yesterday and thought I'd missed the ideal time to plant them by a month or so!  :lol:   I'd decided to get them into the ground today anyway and face the blight if it happened. 

Last frost date for Alnwick is 2nd week of May so no worries there and they may make up for lost time as the soil is nice and warm now?  ;)   

xx
Seed potatoe advice!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 25, 2013, 19:43
by Donnay
xx
is it too late to sow more onions seed?

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 12:29
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Too late for leeks from seed now?

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 22:35
by strangerachael
xx
Is it too late to buy seed potatoes?

Started by Katri25 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 09, 2011, 07:32
by Kristen

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 44 queries.