percy thrower

• 10 Replies

paul sadler

percy thrower
« on: April 10, 2018, 07:08 »
does anyone the famous Percy Thrower , Bob Price and Cyril Flechter all of these famous gardener's were my mentor's many year's ago and the knowledge is second to none.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: percy thrower
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 07:35 »
I have his Encyclopaedia of Gardening, bought for me by my Grandfather over half century ago. Most of the chemical treatments he advises in there would make your toes - and most other body parts - curl!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 12:42 »
Don't forget Geoffrey Smith, I think it was him that gave me my love of soft fruit growing. Must try and find his 'Fruit Garden' series somewhere.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 16:53 »
Still use his 'In your garden' book! It was first published in 1959...

How about Fred Loads and Professor Alan Gemmell then?

Not forgetting Kenneth Willams as Arthur Fallowfield, 'Oi think the answer lies in the soil', which was his stock response every week..;0)

victoria park

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 17:01 »
I have his Encyclopaedia of Gardening, bought for me by my Grandfather over half century ago. Most of the chemical treatments he advises in there would make your toes - and most other body parts - curl!

Talking of which, I've recently put my first three carefully reared tomatoes into my greenhouse border under fleece, that has just been supplememnted with generous helpings of bought compost. The leaves have started to curl on only two, and I think most of us know what that could be. To be on the safe side of paranoia, I now have a few hours work re digging and jigging the borders with a different compost. It's a minefield out there. I pine for Geoffery Hamilton and the idyll.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 17:06 by victoria park »

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 17:34 »
 yep I can just remember seeing Percy Thrower on the telle also Bob Price and Cyril Flecher also Arthur Billet form I think Kings Heath Birmingham and Geoffrey Smith a Yorkshire man if I remember there whare others but my hero was Geoff Hamilton a down to earth chap re-using or as we call it today recycling and he was a wealth of knowledge when I come to telling you how to grow plants something that's never followed today

then there was Mr Titchmarsh say no more and along came Monty a good program spoiled by to much of looking at other peoples well managed gardens and garden deign that bores the pants of me >:( very little devoted to actual gardening and plant growing so I agree with you Paul 100%

so what to do unshackle Monty let him do his own thing get rid of the G/W presentation team and let our own G/A senior members have a go then we would see some real gardeners  telling us how its done  :D

jaydig

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 18:57 »
Aaahhhhh!!   I remember them.   That was back in the days of proper gardeners and sensible gardening advice showing the best ways to grow vegetables, fruit and flowers, with a lot less emphasis on the aesthetics of gardening.   I know it's each to his own, but I think we're desperately short of a good gardening/allotment growing programme or two.  There's plenty of room in the tv scheduling given that most of it is filled with utter dross.
I also wish they still did the language courses on tv that they did many years ago.  We live in a much wider world now, and I'm sure lots of people would be interested to have a go.  Sorry - I'm wandering away from the original post again.

paul sadler

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 21:35 »
to all of my fellow gardener's thank you for your re-ply's I also miss Geff Hamilton a brill gardener does anyone like beechgrove which I find a informant program but I don't like monty as he is not a proper gardener he is not my cup of tea but I prefer Mr Tidmarsh but still miss the good old one's :)

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 16:56 »
can't say  I agree with you about good old Alan Paul but as I said I think Monty could do more if they got rid of the rest of the hanger oners yes that's sounds good to me utter dross I must remember that one for  the future

and there was Arthur Fallowfield and actually he was rite the answer does lie in the soil if I remember was that program called  round the horn on the radio and  Billy  cotton's band  "wake wake"

i think your on the rite wave length Jaydig its funny that ITV has never offered a weekly gardening program we should put John and the team forward for that job  less dross and more working gardens

and i must say Beechgrove is worth a watch so long as it doesen't   fall into the garden design dross there has been some good working Scottish  gardens by proper gardeners on that program so more informative gardening and less dross please Monty  :D :D

victoria park

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 18:03 »
I suppose the real problem is the medium. For the time being, the internet has far better video gardening coverage than TV. I think most of us understand Gardeners' World is really selling full tummy dulcit tones, wagging tails and buzzing bees. The camera lingers longer on the faithful pooch than the parsnips.
Catch Cunk on Britain to see the "factual" history/nature/gardenning TV style spoofed, and so it should it be.   Easy listening elevator music with commentary and visuals. And we haven't even invented smellivision yet.  :)

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 18:34 »
Yes, Geoff Hamilton is my gardening hero. I always thought it interesting that he made the Paradise Garden not long before he passed away (too soon) and talked about the 'spiritual' peace you can find in a garden.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 49 queries.