Roundup

• 13 Replies

mdjlucan

Roundup
« on: October 27, 2015, 07:34 »
I've got this weedkiller roundup can anyone tell me how  to make up or what I've got to add to 1 Litres of water
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
metal detector man

m1ckz

Re: Roundup
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 07:39 »
i think its 1 in 10...but wait for another to come in

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 07:40 »
Your first picture gives the dilution rates per litre, depending on which weeds you want to kill. It's a bit late though to be using it,usually recommends til sept.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 07:52 »
i think its 1 in 10...but wait for another to come in

It's nowhere near 1 in 10. When dealing with chemicals, ALWAYS take directions from the label rather than relying on other peoples guesses.

We can't say what the dilution rates are, even if we take the directions from the label, as we don't know what type of weeds you wish to use it for, or whether you're using a sprayer or watering can. As Snowdrops said, it's getting a bit late to use it anyway.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mdjlucan

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 07:53 »
Thanks I should of used it sooner is it 20 mil to 1 Litre so I left i use it some other time just got a lot of grass and  weeds an grass on my  allotment as I never used weedkiller before

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 07:57 »
Your best bet is to wait until about April time, when the weeds start growing again.

(20ml in 1 litre is actually 1 in 50 -a fifth of the rate previously suggested).

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 08:40 »
You could try covering the grass & weeds over the winter to exclude light, at the least it will weaken them, then you can uncover in the spring or when you have time,weather conditions to deal with them,try to remove any seeds first. How big an area have you got to deal with?

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 10:52 »
This is what it says on the container

Watering can
add 50ml to 4 litres (1 gall) of water and stir. Apply evenly over 20 sq m (25 sq yards)
Sprayer
Add 50 ml to 1 litre (2 pints) of water and stir. Apply evenly over 20 sq m(25 sq yds)

That will kill tough established tough weeds such as dandelions, thistles, docks and grass.

A lower rate of 20 ml, litre can be used where only small soft weeds such as chickweed, fat hen and seedling grass are present. ( or cover twice the area with the  50 ml dilution)

A useful tool to apply Roundup (glyphosate) is a dribble bar. This fits on a watering can instead of the rose and helps to apply evenly. They are cheap from most garden centres.

A watering can/dribble bar is usually better than a sprayer, which is less easy to control and easily drifts on to other plants that you do not want to kill.

From my experience Roundup works even in cold conditions, although it is better when it is milder, obviously avoid frosty times.

The important rule is to apply it when there is likely to be at least 6 hours of dry weather after it is applied.

It may take some time before you see results. This usually is yellowing of the growing centres of the plants after about 2/3 weeks. Once the first symptoms show the chemical has reached the roots and the plant is effectively dead. At this point, and not before, you can cut the weeds off or dig them out.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:55 by Salmo »

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 16:52 »
I've found a glyphosate product called Pestshield Weedkiller, very cheap in poundshops. One spraying dispatched a bed of nettles on my allotment.

I was impressed.

m1ckz

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 19:41 »
well i learnt something today    my mix is too rich   but it killed the weeds ok

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 07:47 »
This is what it says on the container

Watering can
add 50ml to 4 litres (1 gall) of water and stir. Apply evenly over 20 sq m (25 sq yards)
Sprayer
Add 50 ml to 1 litre (2 pints) of water and stir. Apply evenly over 20 sq m(25 sq yds)

That will kill tough established tough weeds such as dandelions, thistles, docks and grass.

A lower rate of 20 ml, litre can be used where only small soft weeds such as chickweed, fat hen and seedling grass are present. ( or cover twice the area with the  50 ml dilution)

A useful tool to apply Roundup (glyphosate) is a dribble bar. This fits on a watering can instead of the rose and helps to apply evenly. They are cheap from most garden centres.

A watering can/dribble bar is usually better than a sprayer, which is less easy to control and easily drifts on to other plants that you do not want to kill.

From my experience Roundup works even in cold conditions, although it is better when it is milder, obviously avoid frosty times.

The important rule is to apply it when there is likely to be at least 6 hours of dry weather after it is applied.

It may take some time before you see results. This usually is yellowing of the growing centres of the plants after about 2/3 weeks. Once the first symptoms show the chemical has reached the roots and the plant is effectively dead. At this point, and not before, you can cut the weeds off or dig them out.

Sorry to disagree,but on the mjludcans first picture the highest quantity of Roundup to add to 1 litre is 40ml for brambles etc

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 08:19 »
Which is why I said to take your directions from the label - and by that I mean the label that came with the product!

Salmo

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 08:26 »
Quite correct DD.

Snowdrops has left the important bit of the instructions out.

40ml in a litre to cover how many square metres?

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 12:31 »
Quite correct DD.

Snowdrops has left the important bit of the instructions out.

40ml in a litre to cover how many square metres?

Have I? It says it all on the 1st picture of the label🤔

xx
where to buy roundup?

Started by foxydan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2007, 22:44
by Aunt Sally
xx
roundup

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 15:02
by Salmo
xx
using roundup?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

54 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 00:49
by compostqueen
xx
Roundup -what next

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 09:23
by johnfh

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 38 queries.