badgers

• 17 Replies

harry

badgers
« on: March 22, 2010, 12:42 »
I've been told not to grow carrots or sweetcorn on my plot because there are badgers on the allotments. Has anyone had experience of this :ohmy: :mellow:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

Pompey Spud

Re: badgers
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 17:07 »
yep
Badgers love sweetcorn.
I had less thefts with the ones grown amongst the squashes.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 17:21 »
 All I know is that when the farmer used to grow sweetcorn in his field behind our house,you could hear the badgers crunching on it at night! ::)

madcat

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 18:16 »
Same here - I think it was three or four years ago, before my time, they got all the sweetcorn on the site.  Rabbit fencing seems to have done the trick though.  No problems with carrots though, that I heard.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mebanana

• Waiting on an allotment!
    • PubQuizzy
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 18:23 »
I know it must be terribly annoying but I must admit the image of a badger crunching on sweetcorn does make me smile :)

boosh

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 19:08 »
No badger,as far as know. but we do have a fox that eats sweetcorn, and worms out of the compost heap.

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 19:11 »
we do have a fox that eats sweetcorn, and worms out of the compost heap.
:lol:

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 19:47 »
I have only heard of one guy who had a problem with badgers and his solution was to deposit dog sh-  poo in piles at intervals around his plot. 

I think this is a bit extreme and wouldn't recommend it, especially if you have children loose on your plot.  Apart from the smell, it can be very toxic, and it mustn't come anywhere near crops.

If your patch is too big to securely wire all around, then prioritise your high risk plants and fence them in.

janette

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 20:29 »
you will need to dig your fence in as badgers will dig underneath if they want what you grow . I have heard of them eating carrots as well . The farmer grows afield of maize behind us and the badgers have a rare old time in it as do lots of other animals including my dogs.

harry

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 08:47 »
I think i may grow a small patch of carrots and let the badgers have a feed, as long as they don't damage other crops. :D :nowink:

ex-cavator

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 23:13 »
They just love peanut butter sandwiches - an old boy I know gets them to take them out of his hand. Give them enough and they might just leave your sweetcorn alone>  :tongue2:

digalotty

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 23:17 »
yes the cunning fox does like sweetcorn :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 11:00 »
We have badgers and we put food out for them and they mostly leave the garden alone. We put out peanut butter sandwiches and a handful of peanuts plus any left over dog food or meat scraps. Occasionally we get a stand off between the fox and badger which is quiet a spectical. We do get the odd digging along the edge of the drive but nothing destructive and we have the veg fenced anyway because the rabbits and pheasants are far more of a nuisance.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

Trikidiki

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 23:54 »
I have only heard of one guy who had a problem with badgers and his solution was to deposit dog sh-  poo in piles at intervals around his plot. 

I think this is a bit extreme and wouldn't recommend it, especially if you have children loose on your plot.  Apart from the smell, it can be very toxic, and it mustn't come anywhere near crops.

I don't think 'Dog S1t' is toxic.

Yes, there is a risk of picking up parasites. Don't get me wrong, Toxoplasmosis caused by a parasite is a big issue.

However, if it is your dog and regularly wormed there should not be a problem. No one is suggesting you or yours should be handling it directly anyway.

Incidentally, you are much more likely to pick up the Toxoplasmosis causing parasite from undercooked meat than you are from dog faeces.

However that cute fox on the allotment may be more of a danger to you than your chickens.

I'm considering using my Millie's deposits along my allotment/field border to deter the deer which graze the adjoining field.

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 05:34 »
TRIKI
You are getting slightly confused here Toxoplasmosis can be caught from cats and farm animals and certain types of meat , Toxocara is the worm passed on by dogs,foxes,cats, dog sh1t is nasty but not toxic unless you eat to much of it,

xx
Badgers!

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 30, 2015, 17:42
by Markw
xx
Are badgers a problem for veg?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 14:41
by veg lover
xx
Buqqered by badgers...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post September 21, 2013, 13:30
by wil4025
xx
Badgers ate my sweetcorn

Started by fekq on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 28, 2008, 08:39
by beestie-crawlies

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 35 queries.