Tail nibbling

• 2 Replies

soya-bean

Tail nibbling
« on: November 15, 2009, 16:52 »
We have had our girls some 4 weeks now.  They soon sorted themselves into a pecking hierarchy but we have noticed that one of them comes in for a bit of bullying.  The other two keep nibbling at her tail feathers and she is not as heavy as them, though she is eating.  Does anyone know why they are nibbling her tail and will it cause problems?
Pause, be still and observe the world with all your senses - you will gain much!

sallylouise

Re: Tail nibbling
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 17:25 »
As the hen is at the bottom the others might be hen pecking her, I have just gone through this and it is not nice my poor hen ended up half bald and in a very sorry state, she started off by having her tail feathers being pecked at apparantly they like the blood in the feathers I could be completley wrong and there are sooo many more experienced people on here that I am sure will reply and offer advice. I would suggest trying to nip it in the bud so to speak make sure your chickens have plenty to do, I have just put a huge bale of straw in the pen and have put some pecking blocks which they peck at and get seeds in return, try and put 2 lots of food down so the other one has a chance of eating if they keep pecking her get some anti pecking spray which you spray on the hen that is being pecked if that doesn't work you can get some rings I think they are called bits whick go on the chickens beaks to stop them pecking I haven't used these yet myself as they are my last resort and I am trying not to use them, make sure thay have lots of access outside as well. Hope this helps but like I said I am sure you will get lots more replies,
Sally
 :)

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
Re: Tail nibbling
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 18:57 »
My Amber links are always eating each others feathers  :ohmy: It got a bit bad at one point so sprayed thier favouite bit with anti pecking spray stopped it almost at once  :D

My BIG girls are always having a go at the pullets but they just squark and run then sneak up behind them and nick a bum feather  :lol: 

Keep an eye on them they should settle down . good luck
wish I was a cat

xx
wry tail or rudder tail?

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 29, 2012, 08:59
by sneezer
xx
Wry tail

Started by ANHBUC on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2012, 23:39
by TeaPots
xx
droopy tail?

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 14:20
by scarymary
xx
Tail feathers

Started by jonesblack on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 26, 2010, 15:07
by Beano

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 36 queries.