couch grass

• 10 Replies

allotmentann

couch grass
« on: May 02, 2012, 19:26 »
I know this is a daft question, but looking at pictures on the net has not helped. How do you tell couch grass from ordinary grass? Why is it worse than ordinary grass? I want to know so that I will know if I have it, as I would probably give it different treatment to my ordinary grass, judging from the comments posted on here! Thank you.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: couch grass
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 19:32 »
You can tell it by it's tough long white roots with nodules on it. The blades of grass themselves are tougher.

Leave a bit of root in and it will spread like wildfire, which is why it's not a good idea to rotavate if you have it.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 19:59 »
Ah so it does look like ordinary grass then. It is probably what I have been digging out of a long covered bed today! The roots of ordinary grass are finer and more fibrous then I assume? Well, I shan't be rotavating it, all my digging is done by hand! Hopefully I will gradually remove most of it. Does it propagate by seed the same as ordinary grass or through the long roots like bindweed?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 20:58 »
Ah so it does look like ordinary grass then. It is probably what I have been digging out of a long covered bed today! The roots of ordinary grass are finer and more fibrous then I assume? Well, I shan't be rotavating it, all my digging is done by hand! Hopefully I will gradually remove most of it. Does it propagate by seed the same as ordinary grass or through the long roots like bindweed?

Both

It is a very successful plant  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 21:53 »
I can sometimes tell the difference between couch and turf grass.  Couch has coarser / lighter stems, and I find that they don't necessarily grow straight upwards - they can start out at a flatter angle and sometimes almost rosette-like.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

catweazle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 21:56 »
Both

It is a very successful plant  :nowink:

it and horse tail are both the spawn of satan  :mad:

on the plus side it is very easy to kill with glyphosate

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 07:10 »

[/quote]

it and horse tail are both the spawn of satan  :mad:

on the plus side it is very easy to kill with glyphosate
[/quote]

:mad: I had never even thought about using glyphosate!  :mad: I have a long wide border that I inherited from two definate non-gardeners in our new house and it is absolutely full of it.  I am gradually working my way down the border digging it out but its like painting the Forth Bridge - it reappears behing me as I work my way down digging a bit a day!  It's pointless even starting to plant into the border until I clear it, it will just choke all the plants.

Glyphosate here I come....
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 07:22 »
Thank you for your replies. I had a sneaky suspicion that it might spread both ways! This means that it can never really be eradicated then, as even if I managed to get rid of every piece of mine (including all the seeds lying dormant that I inadvertently set as I dig!), then seeds would blow over from other plots. Still at least it digs out fairly easily! And digging is great exercize! It wouldn't be right to spend too much time sitting drinking coffee and admiring my work would it!
Yorkie I shall have to get down on my knees and examine the growth habits of grass more closely! I think I know what you mean and will play guess the grass type in future, before digging it up, to see if I can get it right! :)

allotmentann

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 07:29 »
Oh dear GYO girl, it sounds like a worse weed than I thought! I have a problem with ground elder in my garden which does a similar thing! The only thing that I have found, is that the more shrubs and plants I get established the less the stuff can take over. I am sure that although it feels like you are not getting anywhere, it is probably just those long dormant seeds you have unearthed and it will start to feel like you are making headway soon.

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 10:41 »
The really annoying thing is that the border is absolutely full of bluebell bulbs, which I am having to dig up as I go because I just cannot get the couch grass from around each one.  I am saving them with a view to replanting them all if (when!) I can get rid of the couch grass.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 15:51 »
Hate the stuff, unlike marestail you can't whipp its head off. It seems to be able to grow for miles underneath paths etc before popping its head up.

This is the only pest I have used spray on (glyphosate) to control it.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Couch grass.

Started by Dick on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 06:07
by DD.
xx
Couch Grass

Started by nickmcmechan on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 13:55
by Junie
xx
Couch grass

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 31, 2022, 10:54
by rowlandwells
xx
couch grass

Started by alfieplot162 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 21:34
by LittleSlugInTheNorth

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 38 queries.