Rubbish Mum or Mother nature?

• 13 Replies

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Rubbish Mum or Mother nature?
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:20 »
Ethel my broody Salmon Faverolles hen has eggs hatching today. When I went to let my chickens out this morning Ethel was already up and about. While she had some food I looked in on the eggs to find two perfectly formed chicks, both had died and were stone cold, they were also on the edge of her nest. Do you think Ethel could be wondering what on earth those thing were and kicked them out?
There are five more eggs in the nest all cheeping away, really hope they make it.

Just wanted to add that this is the first time Ethel has been a Mum too.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:22 by JaK »

PaulineM

Re: Rubbish Mum or Mother nature?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 12:42 »
I've only ever let a broody hatch once and one chick hatched and she was a great Mum so I'm not that experienced. It sounds like she left the chicks, perhaps she didn't know what to do. I would be tempted to lock her in with the eggs that are pipping if she will return to sit on them.  Good luck and keep us posted  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 12:54 »
as she is new to the hatching game she may well have thought once they are hatched then that is her job done. I had one like that who as soon as she bought her chicks back to the garden (she hatched them in the hedgerow somewhere) she ran off and abandoned them. Luckily I had another very broody hen who was an excellent mum so I slipped them underneath her and she raised them. You need to get a heat lamp or electric hen straight away for the other eggs.
Staffies are softer than you think.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 08:05 »
When I went down this morning I peeped in on her and she really growled at me and tried to peck me, as she did I saw two chicks very much alive and cheeping. I've left her to it now as there may be more left to hatch. Hope she learned a lesson yesterday, she has certainly had a change in attitude this morning!  :lol:
I have a lamp and cage ready just in case but really hope I wont need it.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 08:18 »
It could just be that the chicks died anyway and she was off the nest for her morning constitutional. You'll probably never know. Good luck with the others - it sounds as though she is back on track :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 11:21 »
When the eggs are due to hatch it is best to put a little dish of chick crumb and water (with pebbles in) close enough for the broody.  This way she doesn't need to leave the nest and keeps her strength up.  I usually hold the water right up to her as they don't normally like to leave the nest.  They can get really thirsty in the warm weather.  Check if she has soiled the nest which will need to be cleaned up asap.

Congratulations on your new chicks, look forward to seeing photos of your hatch and Mum of course. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 12:57 »
When the eggs are due to hatch it is best to put a little dish of chick crumb and water (with pebbles in) close enough for the broody.  This way she doesn't need to leave the nest and keeps her strength up.  I usually hold the water right up to her as they don't normally like to leave the nest.  They can get really thirsty in the warm weather.  Check if she has soiled the nest which will need to be cleaned up asap.

Congratulations on your new chicks, look forward to seeing photos of your hatch and Mum of course. 

Unfortunately she  has been a very suborn broody, she had her own food and water but would not use it, preffering to pace up and down until I let her out. I gave in because she was crushing the eggs. So far from the 10 eggs we started with (she was covering them well) we only have 2 chicks and 3eggs left.  :( I wont let her hatch again next year.

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 13:08 »
If she bonds well with these chicks she might do a really good job next time.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 09:00 »
Ethel is now up and about with her 2 little chicks and given up on the other eggs. The eggs were a mixed bunch of lf, I think we ended up with an Ixworth and a Marans in the end.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 09:18 »
At least she has managed to hatch 2  :)  But c'mon - you know the rules  ::)  Can we have pics please  :D

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 16:58 »
The first time I let 2 of my hens hatch eggs, they both turned on the chicks and attacked them, we managed to rescue the chicks and had them in a box with a heat lamp. 2nd time round they seemed to have learnt and we didn't have a problem.

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 12:04 »
That is good news JaK, second that about the photos New Shoot.   :D

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 20:15 »
I do need to take pics don't I, sorry for being so slack.  :lol:
Sadly Ethel is not such a great mother, she seemed to of squished the Ixworth chick. So only the Marans chick is left  :( It seems to be doing well though. I have defiantly decided never to use her for hatching again, so disappointing.  :(
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 20:53 by JaK »

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 11:02 »
So sorry JaK, sometimes they seem to forget the chicks are delicate.  Dotty who has turkey chicks has taken to sitting on top of a 4 ft mesh panel in the shed I keep them in.  When she flies down she nearly wiped out her chicks so I have taken the panel out.  ::)

xx
Mother Hen

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 16:15
by joyfull
xx
Mother hen still with chicks

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 20:07
by bantam novice
xx
Ducklings mother hen

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 18:02
by EJCTM
xx
Unfit mother!!!!!!

Started by spaulaj on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 25, 2008, 21:15
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 40 queries.