What's up with my girls?

• 9 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
What's up with my girls?
« on: February 05, 2010, 12:09 »
Help! I'm at my wits end. Spike, one of my ex-batts, started looking under the weather again, down at tail, hunched up, swollen abdomen, so I took her to the vets. After an exam she said it's almost certainly not egg peritonitis and gave me some baytril which she's been on for the last few days. She's certainly perked up a lot but is now not eating & her keel is becoming quite pronounced. I've even tried tempting her with what is normally a sure fire winner, boileded potato with grated cheese, mealworms and some mixed corn, but she only pecks at it and flicks it away.

As well as that one of my other girls (Betty I think, or possible Aggie, I didn't see which one deposited it on my kitchen floor and all 4 were in at the time scolding me for something) is pooing foul smelling watery droppings with what looks like fleshy bits in. I took some photos but the wretched programme isn't playing ball and I can't move them to an area where I can use the pix resizer. The droppings look nothing like any of the examples in the poo gallery. I'll seperate Betty off tonight to hopefully determine which of my girls it is, but in the meantime has anybody got any advice on either of my dilemmas? Thanks.

compostqueen

Re: What's up with my girls?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 14:16 »
I don't but someone on here will be along shortly and I'm sure you'll get some suggestions.  Hang in there

The Baytril should have kicked in I would have thought

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 14:45 »
I vaguely remember something about the intestine lining and Baytril.  Foxy will know.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:31 »
Thanks, I hope someone can shed a bit of light & notice that Foxy seems to be a fount of knowledge...
Talking of which, I've just got in from work and the real deal ran across in front of my car only 1/2mile from home. As I've also been hearing a vixen over recent nights I'll be keeping an extra special watch on my girls!

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 07:38 »
Foxy is defo a font

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 08:55 »
Come on RH, Foxy's a baptismal bowl? That's a new one on me! Anyway, I've found my instructions for how to post a photo so one will (hopefully) follow later on today. Oh, by the way, it's definitely Aggie, not Betty, who's got the problem - and she's recently stopped laying so I guess that has something to do with how she is, although she's as manic as ever & still has a very good appetite.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:13 by Catsmuvva »

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 21:00 »
Right, I've tried the photo thing & I can't get the darned thing to work. Anyway, I cleaned Aggie up today as her fluffy bum was on the mucky side and decided I'd give her a go on the Baytril as well, nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say. Anyone got any advice as to whether this is the right way to go? (Also, some advice on where I'm going wrong on the photo lark would come in handy...)

Fisherman

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 05:52 »
Hi Catsmuvva
Sorry to hear about your poorly girls. Cant help you there as I have no experience.

I assume you have read "posting a picture in a thread" on the Forum Notice Board section?

When you post the picture make sure its size is less than the maximum allowed otherwise it won't load.

Good luck on both fronts.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 08:01 »
Have they been wormed or due for worming?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 16:39 »
Hi Fisherman, I'd already tried the thread you mentioned (in fact, I've posted photos before) but for some reason my computer brain, or lack of, can't figure out how to post the picture once I've got it the right size on pixresizer as hitting the browse button comes up with several pixresizer options and I've no way of knowing which will display my photo.

Thanks for the worming suggestion, Joyfull. They've all recently been dosed orally with Panacur, as recommended by my chicken vet, as they were not all feeding at the same rate and therefore some weren't getting sufficient Flubenvet. Spike in particular had gone right off her food while she had an inflamed abdomen and had succumbed to gapeworm again. Incidentally she's a lot better today, eating cheese & mealworms out of my hand like they're going out of fashion! I'm also including some poultry spice in their pellets mushed up in hot water and have also tried adding Herban to their drinking water but they don't seem to like the taste/smell & go for the bucket of rainwater instead.

xx
2 new girls

Started by violet on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 09:42
by violet
xx
New girls more of the same or different

Started by Poppadoo on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 21:29
by swedishchicken
sad
Not sure if one of my girls is ill ???

Started by francais on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 22, 2009, 22:27
by mrs.ploppy
xx
New Girls - Help!

Started by ycholmes on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 12:52
by tesni

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 39 queries.