Our first egg....but a bit of a softie....

• 9 Replies

brick22

Our first egg....but a bit of a softie....
« on: June 08, 2011, 20:26 »
Tonight one of our girls laid her first egg, it was perfectly formed inside but had a very soft shell. I had no idea one of them had laid until I saw our Black Rock running round the garden with a bit of it in her mouth!!!

Hopefully they will harden very soon so I can have the fried egg sandwich I have ben dreaming about for the last 2 weeks :tongue2:
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Our first egg....but a bit of a softie....
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 20:54 »
 :D  First egg is so exciting.  If your hens are on layers pellets and have access to oyster shell but still have soft shelled eggs once they are in the swing of things -Try a little cod liver oil on a small piece of bread which will help your hens absorb the calcium they need to produce a hard shell.  I have to do this for one of mine as she is prone to laying double yolkers which sometimes come out as two soft shelled eggs.  I gave her the c.l.o. the other day and she layed a 115 gram egg today with a perfect shell.   :ohmy:

I also have 4 Black Rocks, they are such a beautiful bird.  They are all different characters and each egg is different so I can tell which bird has laid which egg.  They are alot smaller than my Bovan Goldline eggs but I think they taste better.  I am sure you will enjoy your first egg very soon. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

brick22

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 21:14 »
Yes it was all very exciting, can't wait to see what tomorrow (or the next day) brings.
My little Black Rock is an excellent little hen, very friendly whilst being incredibly cheeky.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 22:10 »
as she is new to laying I wouldn't worry about it being a softee, give her a couple of weeks to get her body into the routine of laying  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

brick22

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 11:28 »
WooHoo  :D :D :D :D :D
Our first egg..jpg

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 11:32 »
lovely - so will it be poached, fried, boiled?

brick22

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 11:45 »
Arrrggghhhhh, decisions decisions decisions......I thought fried but now I'm thinking poached....whatevers the best way to feed a family of 3 :)

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 11:49 »
hmmm 1 between 3 - how about a dippy egg with soldiers and take turns to dip your soldier  ::)

or eat it quickly yourself and keep quiet - we won't tell honestly  ;)

brick22

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 11:52 »
 :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 14:58 »
 :)  You could draw straws for who gets the first, second and third egg laid until they are all laying regularly.

We have to take turns with our family and neighbours on who gets the next double yolker.   ::)

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 40 queries.