Novice seeking help/advice on spindly home-grown seedlings

• 3 Replies

Captain700

Hi,

Further to my little intro last weekend.... it’s been a busy week with work and home schooling, last weekend I thought my seedlings looked ok if a little spindly but I’m now quite concerned about them.

Having just returned from a trip to the local nursery/farm shop, it’s quite clear that my home growns are all quite weak and spindly but I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong, other than I fell short on watering on a couple of days due to my shifts.

I’m going to attempt to post photos of leeks, Brussels and butternut squash. Each started off in the first week of April in modular pots. I transferred the leeks and Brussels to the single pots shown about a week ago, the squash only today having found them in a dry state! They’re variously moved around between a Wilco’s mini greenhouse to the side of the house, a similar greenhouse inside the living room (at the patio door) and the windowsill of the shed. I’m struggling to keep them somewhere that they get light but not intense heat from the sun, the leeks especially may have had too much sun/heat.

Anyway, I’ll attempt to attach some photos and would appreciate all and any comment. Thanks, George.
8915EEC3-807E-4EF8-A8C6-FE1D2715037B.jpeg
44BB8782-3FDF-450A-B93B-288D8EF67E61.jpeg
B773CC4C-CE99-4B58-BBBC-FEF01DA50C35.jpeg
B3E1C71A-F248-4121-B1A2-F537AA10FAF3.jpeg

JayG

• Global Moderator
They're all showing the classic symptoms of lack of light, and all but the squash would have been better hardened off to live outdoors before transplanting, as they don't need or like too much heat.

Even the squash can be hardened off outdoors now, as now is about the time most of us are transplanting them to their final positions.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Captain700

Ok, thank you JayG.

Would you go so far as to say that I could lift the plastic covers off the Wilco’s greenhouses and simply leave all this lot outside day and night on the shelves?  The main issue would be finding a place of shade as our garden/yard gets the sun pretty much the whole day but they’ll get the sun once at the plot anyway as there’s no shade on it at all. Also, do you think there’s any kind of plant food etc that they would benefit from now? 

Many thanks again, George.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Given the current weather, I don't think any of your plants need to still be under cover.

A liquid feed (anything really) is never a bad idea for struggling plants.

xx
complete novice seeking basic advice

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 18:57
by chili
xx
spindly seedlings?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2009, 13:59
by Aunt Sally
xx
spindly seedlings

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2015, 23:32
by Anton
xx
Spindly Seedlings

Started by brucesgirl on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 10:12
by paintedlady

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 40 queries.