How to Fillet Fish

• 25 Replies

David.

How to Fillet Fish
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 16:07 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
going down the fish docks certainly made me learn to fillet & skin dogggies n skate

This is how my dogfish (last pack from the freezer) look skinned & ready to cook, which is how I bring them back home:

Takes me approx. 3 mins per fish using filleting knife, sharp scissors, long nosed pliers and bucket of water. I reckon dogfish taste sweeter than hounds & huss.

Filleting rays (skate) takes me much longer, doesn't look so tidy, and they tend to get given to my in-laws.

WG.

How to Fillet Fish
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 16:36 »
Quote from: "David."
I reckon dogfish taste sweeter than hounds & huss.

:?:  Lost me there.  Pls explain

welsh boyo

• Experienced Member
How to Fillet Fish
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 17:23 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "David."
I reckon dogfish taste sweeter than hounds & huss.

:?:  Lost me there.  Pls explain

he means smooth Hounds and bullhuss  2 different species of fish,allthough the huss is just a bigger type of dogfish.
Sanity is just a playground for the un-imaginative

Only once the last tree has died, the last river poisoned and the last fish eaten will we realise that you cant eat money

David.

How to Fillet Fish
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 17:59 »
Basically, they're all 'sharks', including 'skate'.

muntjac

How to Fillet Fish
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 18:26 »
and doggy is called rock salmon :roll: knock a nail into a large flat of wood , push the head over the nail head through the mouthand out the skull
flash the top fins and the tail off slide knife into belly going stright thru to other side and pul the knife back to the anus .cut the skin just behind the head attaching a smal piece of skull cartiledge . hold tight between thumb and knife edge and pull back the skin will rool off to the tail in one movment..time 1 min 30 .. or less

skate is winged  and then ussing a fork.. the old carving forks from long ago are great for this ./rduce points done to 1.1/2 inch  pairs pliers . hold down the skate on the above board with the fork . take the pliers and cut usibng agripping motion the cartiledge where the wing attached to the body, pull back and the skin wil come off in one movement with practice .turn and do the other side.. time 1min 30 or less

fileting cod haddock . 1 min 30 . plaice time 1 min 30. eels 30 secs

rabbit  gutted to skinned  45 secs
still alive /............

welsh boyo

• Experienced Member
dogfish recipe
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 18:37 »
The best way to prepare and cook dogfish is to carefully gut and skin them then lay the fillets between two pieces of sandalwood with some garlic and fennel - don't forget to moisten with butter, or for the health concious - olive oil. Season, wrap in foil and cook slowly in a medium oven, or even better in the coals of a barbeque. When the fish is done (about 45 minutes) unwrap carefully and

.....throw the fish away and eat the wood. It's a damn sight better tasting :lol:  :lol:

muntjac

How to Fillet Fish
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 18:39 »
i disagree there whole heartedly it is just cooked wrongly i like to poach it whole with dill and then make a creamy bechemel sauce with fresh parsley with new spuds .. the belly flaps are great . skin them from the belly flap and then flash fry 190 with a egg batter

David.

How to Fillet Fish
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 19:09 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
knock a nail into a large flat of wood

Bit too large for the fishing bag/box, so I use the idiot proof method - cut off head and tail with knife , then slice with knife from anus into belly, use scissors to cut out belly, guts and fins. Dip in bucket of water, then use knife to make a slit just through the skin on both the top and underside of the fish and make a start peeling the skin back feach side from the tail end about 1/2 inch/10mm. Then use the long nosed pliers to grip a loose end of skin and start winding it off towards the front, like using a key on a sardine tin. Repeat for other side. Cut into portions and put into freezer bags. Dead simple once you've seen it done, no skill required.

Porffor

How to Fillet Fish
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 18:08 »
Thanks to Bodger for the link to this thread.. as promised.. i've attmepted it.. a first ever for me..  with 2 rainbow trout :) I can't say i caught them though!

Like Jacnal did I have a lot of fish left on the bones. :lol: BUT still enough to eat for dinner. :) I'm not brave enough to go down the soup route just yet.. but maybe with a bit of practise and some sharper knives i'll get better at filleting. :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
How to Fillet Fish
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 18:19 »
You need a very sharp thin bladed knife.

This is the one we use:

Porffor

How to Fillet Fish
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 18:34 »
Thanks Aunt Sally :) After trying every knife we had (yes lots of washing up) :lol: I'll happily shop for one ;)

xx
Fish Pie

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 18:17
by arugula
xx
Fish pie

Started by noshed on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post December 03, 2007, 22:50
by mashauk
xx
Cheesy Fish Pie

Started by Bodger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 22:04
by blackhobbescat
xx
simple fish

Started by gobs on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post December 16, 2007, 18:52
by sawnee

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 39 queries.