morning glory

• 4 Replies

Dodo

morning glory
« on: June 29, 2009, 13:21 »
I have grown some morning glory from seed - initially good plants but now they have grown a couple of feet and come to a standstill and the top leaves are turning white - I'd be grateful for any advice. Seems strange as the sweet peas I grew from seed are flowering and they are the difficult ones - or so I understand! Dodo

sunlover

Re: morning glory
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:40 »
Went to check on mine last night before replying.  Much the same happened to mine a few weeks ago.  Now the leaves that were turning white are more a varigated shade and the new growth above them has flower buds!!! 

I've only grown them successfully once before, but they were a dark pink/purple variety rather than the trad blue.  Hope this helps a little. 

cathy81walking

• Aspirations to Heligan's perfection in my dreams..
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 09:18 »
Mine did this too - but before they had got into the ground - about the 3rd or 4th set of true leaves (about 4 weeks ago).  I'd put them into the ground like that wondering if the roots needed some freedom, but they just did nothing  ???

I had been having problems with magnesium deficency in potatos and tomatos (also grown in the same compost), so decided that a squirt of the epsom salts mixture and a handful of fish blood and bone wouldn't do any harm whilst I was doing everything else.

After about 10 days, the morning glory had burst into action and grown away properly - I now have a good 8 - 10 inches of nice green growth on them  :lol:

I'm no professional gardener by any standard - but this did seem to do the trick for mine, perhaps its worth a try?! :)
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done ;)

RichardA

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 17:22 »
most potting compost runs out of feed value after about 4 weeks -- try feeding them
R

Ruby Red

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 08:21 »
I have grown some morning glory from seed - initially good plants but now they have grown a couple of feet and come to a standstill and the top leaves are turning white - I'd be grateful for any advice. Seems strange as the sweet peas I grew from seed are flowering and they are the difficult ones - or so I understand! Dodo

Its a pity that its cousin, the white morning glory ie Bindweed, doesnt share in the reluctance to grow. ;)
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

xx
Morning Glory

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2019, 11:19
by mrs bouquet
xx
Morning Glory

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post September 15, 2019, 11:17
by mumofstig
xx
Morning Glory

Started by monsoon on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 14:05
by sunshineband
xx
Glory of the Snow

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 17:20
by sion01

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 38 queries.