Re: Composting wormery - mites

• 2 Replies

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« on: April 01, 2021, 17:57 »
I’m not sure if I’m in the right place for this question but does anyone know how to rid mites in a composting wormery. I’ve tried lots of things but still haven’t had any luck. I think now I need some advice thanks
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 20:18 by Yorkie »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 20:19 »
Hi Frizzle, I've split your question off so it can be seen more easily by other people  :)

I've not used a wormery before, but I'm sure that others may have done, and be able to answer your question.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 13:51 »
I’m not sure if I’m in the right place for this question but does anyone know how to rid mites in a composting wormery. I’ve tried lots of things but still haven’t had any luck. I think now I need some advice thanks

The mites you are most likely seeing are soil mites. Soil mites are highly beneficial to compost or soil health.  If you have information indicating these mites are not beneficial, please share that information.

Remember that compost is partially a living material. When the compost is healthy, it contains bacteria, fungi, and a large variety of arthropods (insects, spiders, mites, isopods, millipedes, centipedes, etc.), and worms. To learn more, see:. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://plantcaretoday.com/soil-mites.html&ved=2ahUKEwj5gdTByOTvAhWRZs0KHQeKDG4QFjARegQIKRAF&usg=AOvVaw1mnI2AFssytd02ypPNthNb

There is nothing I can think of that you can add to compost that will get rid of them without also being toxic (such as acaricides). You could try spreading compost very thinly on a plastic sheet on a sunny day, that could reduce the number of them. But, put that compost to use in a pot or flower/vegetable bed, the mites will be back fairly soon.

Best course of action is to do nothing unless you see harm being done by the mites.  Something worse than not liking the look of them.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

question
wormery

Started by Dantheman on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2013, 19:34
by Dantheman
xx
Second wormery

Started by Offwego on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post April 17, 2022, 14:49
by Offwego
xx
Wormery

Started by julyjune on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 22:21
by Trillium
xx
Wormery

Started by loubylou29 on General Gardening

34 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 12:33
by weeeed

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 41 queries.