Top of the pecking order?

• 2 Replies

Elly

Top of the pecking order?
« on: August 04, 2009, 11:20 »
My family have a coop of seven hens. We had eight but Firefly, our favorite died. Ever since her death, Deamon or Desdemona, who was top of the pecking order seems to have slipped down a place or two. When they came out this morning Deamon was last to come out and Rosemary, a weaker hen, came out as one of the first.

Deamon and Firefly were friends. Do you think Deamon is pining for Firefly?

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: Top of the pecking order?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 22:01 »
hi there.   im not an expert but when my bantie died her friend seemed a little lost for a day or two, now she is fine.  i think because your top hen has passed away the others tend to all move around in the pecking order. i should think that they will sort themselves out within a few days - doesnt sound like any bullying is taking place?  good luck.   

Elly

Re: Top of the pecking order?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 15:42 »
I had seen some sighns of help. We all have a special hen and now mine is Deamon. Luckily, after a very weird day when Deamon was looking round the coop for Fires and the next when she was acting as though Firefly waas still there, somethin g good happened. We let the hens free range (With consequances in the formal garden!) and Deamon made friends with the remaining black rocks, Corriander and Oregarno. Rosemary likes to wander round with them too and the twins, Summer and Cicerly along with the tame one Marmalade go round in a threesome, occupied with Rosie too sometimes.
Thanks for your help and keep sending replies, Elly   :wub:

xx
The Pecking Order!!!

Started by hazelize_uk on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 22:20
by babe
xx
Pecking order...

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 15:57
by mickwood
xx
Pecking order

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 17:59
by andy and deb
xx
pecking order

Started by andrewandkaren on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 21:07
by HENrietta

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 38 queries.