The Pecking Order!!!

• 14 Replies

hazelize_uk

The Pecking Order!!!
« on: March 26, 2008, 23:36 »
I know i've got to leave them to sort things out for themselves, but we are getting VERY concerned about poor Emona who is definately at the bottom of the pile!

ALL the others peck at her at every opportunity, for no apparent reason at all.  She doesnt need to be near the food or water they attack her for simply be there.

When all the others charge out in the morning, she stays behind in the coop not wanting to go out with the others, maybe because she can be left alone while they are out?

She looks so sad and had a bald patch on her head and the back of her neck.  Amazingly as they are ex bats she was pretty well 'feathered' when they arrived, but now she is looking much worse  :(

Are we right to let her 'stay in' or is that making things worse as she is not mixing with the rest of the group?

I know a few may say toughen up and its just the pecking order, but i'm sure if you could see her little sad face when she looks up at you, you would know what i mean!  :cry:

JaM

Help too.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 00:10 »
We have the same problem - today the bottom of the order girl laid an egg that's 1/4 the size of a normal one.   This all started when one molted a good six weeks after the other two.  The late molter has been at the bottom of the order ever since.

Fortunately no bald patch yet, but we are very concerned with the behavior.

Wildeone

The Pecking Order!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 07:52 »
I've having to seen one of my Ex-batts to a new home today because my other 3 have completely rejected her and they wont even let her eat!!!

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  Nature is harsh  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

Foxy

The Pecking Order!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 08:33 »
Do you have enough room for them all and have they got plenty of distractions? For example boredom can intensify pecking order problems which then develop into vicious habits that can be very upsetting to watch.
Hang plenty of greens in the run if they in an enclosed run like hanging a cabbage. Place large objects to give shelter and add interest to the run -enlarge it if you can. Additional feeders will also help the bullied hen and ensure she gets enough feed to keep healthy.You can disrupt the pecking order by taking out the top hen for a while but if your hen is right at the bottom she will probably stay that way! I like have a cockerel in the pen he always sorts things out! :wink: I am sure there are other tips too. One point watch out for any evidence of bleeding at the first sign of this you will have to take her out for own protection as once chickens get a taste of blood it is a very nasty habit to break. Hope this helps!

JaM

The Pecking Order!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 09:58 »
Quote from: "Foxy"
Do you have enough room for them all and have they got plenty of distractions? For example boredom can intensify pecking order problems which then develop into vicious habits that can be very upsetting to watch.
Hang plenty of greens in the run if they in an enclosed run like hanging a cabbage.

We have three hens and a 12'x12' coop.  It's a wire fenced area with a pair of perches (fig tree branches) running diagonal from mid-side to mid side.  We've started to let the out to roam in the greater yard daily.  But as the garden starts to sprout we'll have to figure out what to do to keep them from destroying it.  That sound like enough?

A cabbage - that's a new one to us.  We'll try it.  

Thank you.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
The Pecking Order!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 10:42 »
have you tried giving her a good covering of purple spray. not only does it look very pretty :?  it will help any sore spots she has, and the others may be put off pecking her as it doesnt taste very pleasant.

hazelize_uk

The Pecking Order!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 15:15 »
Thank you for the suggestions, They have absolutely masses of space and lots of interesting things to play with, we have brussel and sprouting brocolli stalks hanging up so don't think they are lacking things to do!

They dont actually run after her to attack her so she can keep out of their way, but it seems such as shame that as soon as she wanders over near anyone they immediately peck her out of the way!

Their shed is a converted aviary that is about 30 square feet for 15 of them, so she prefers to stay in there really on her own, but outside they have their own garden which is 40 square metres, with shrubs, rock piles for bugs, wooden tunnels and lots of bark to roll in so they seem happy enough, except her lonely little face  :cry:

Babe - purple spray? has it got a name and do you know where i can get it! i'd like to give it a go!  :roll:

Foxy

The Pecking Order!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 16:58 »
Your set up sounds like chicken paradise!!! Sure you couldn't squeeze a cockerel in there? I have a sweet pekin bantam that sorts out any nonsense with the girls and the boys despite his diminutive size! :lol:  :lol:

LadyPlod

The Pecking Order!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 19:56 »
Hello!
I'm new to this (site and forum) and this topic caught my attention as we are experiencing the same problems! Have had 2 black rocks, a Magpie and a Light Susex living in harmony for 6 weeks and having enlarged their living space, on Tuesday brought home 4 more -  2 Light Sussex and 2 Bluebelles. We put them all in and watched how things went.....badly! So we separated the 2 groups. Now we have just about managed to integrate the Light Susex (think it's helped having one already?) but the poor Bluebelles are having a horrible time of it, and have been pecked badly. They can't seem to do anything right! So now they are in their own ark near the others. How long do you recommend them being apart? They are about 10 weeks younger than our original girls.
Will look forward to any advice,
LadyPlod

hazelize_uk

The Pecking Order!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 20:25 »
i'd love one foxy my parents have 2 gorgeous boys but I daredn't upset the neighbours if he happened to get 'vocal!'  we sneaked the girls through the gate when they weren't looking  :lol:

I think to start with they were so in ore of everything around them for the first couple of weeks that they didnt have time to think about who was boss! but their confidence has gone through the roof and they seem so much stronger now leaping over things and dashing around playing look mum i've found a worm!!

Could it be i've been in with them too much and they want equal attention? they all dash over to me when I go out the garden and follow me round and round in a conga! praps they think im a big fat hen! poor Emona does get a few extra strokes because she looks so sad! could it be a jealousy thing?  :shock:

Foxy

The Pecking Order!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 16:54 »
Ladyplod - make sure they can see each other  during the day-it might take about 2 weeks then introduce at night when they are all roosting. It will be natural for spats to break out when they all get back together and as long as there is no evidence of wounds it is best to let them work it out. I have to admit introducing birds of different ages can be a bit tricky and may take a little more perserverence. Good luck! :lol:

LadyPlod

The Pecking Order!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 20:14 »
Thanks for your reply Foxy - I've been rushing things a bit then! However, been a quieter day in the henhouse and the Light Sussex hens seem to be part of the gang. Poor old Bluebelles are in their own ark for the time being, and are in sight of the other girls, so they can look but not touch!
I'm sure I'll have more queries and questions on how to keep them all happy and healthy.... I know where to come for advice!
Thanks again LP

babe

• elvis king of chooks
The Pecking Order!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 21:03 »
Quote from: "hazelize_uk"

Babe - purple spray? has it got a name and do you know where i can get it! i'd like to give it a go!  :roll:

its actually called "purple spray" you can get it from any good feed shop, and all tack shops will stock it, or rural vets

hazelize_uk

The Pecking Order!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 22:05 »
Thanks babe i'll put purple spray on the shopping list! how is evie doing??

babe

• elvis king of chooks
The Pecking Order!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 22:20 »
he's doing really well thanks hazel, she hasnt had a t shirt on for a week now, and has lots of lovely new feathers coming through.

she's now a very brave little lady, i cant wait for the weather to brighten up so i can get some nice photo's of the girls progress.

xx
pecking order

Started by VIZLA BLUE on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 26, 2009, 15:08
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Pecking order

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 17:59
by andy and deb
xx
pecking order

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 09:33
by SMD66
xx
Is this a pecking order ??

Started by dilsdaisy on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 16:36
by joyfull

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 38 queries.