Next season

• 6 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Next season
« on: October 26, 2019, 12:12 »
I think I may be wishing my life away, which at 77 may not be such a good idea. However with just root vegetables and a few sprouts left to harvest, I'm already looking forward to several seasonal events.

As soon as the soil dries out a little, muck-spreading and the annual dig.
Ditto the annual greenhouse and polytunnel clear-out and wash.
Seeing the first snow-drops.
Seeing the first green-shoots from the daffodils in our bit of woodland.
Sowing the first seeds in my heated propagator.

Anyone else wishing their lives away?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 12:17 by AlaninCarlisle »

rowlandwells

Re: Next season
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 15:14 »
Alanin I always say when you where a boy a birthday was something to look forward to when you turn 70   its something you would rather  forget

and i think you spot on with your topic not to keen on the snow though  :D and i always say with gardening you win some you loose some so take it in your stride there's always another day  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 16:10 »
My Dr said that people (of a certain age) who don't make plans for the future are the ones that live shorter and depressing lives  ::)
So let's all carry on planning.... seed orders, plot rotation etc etc
It's all good  :D

Ordered my garlic, potatoes and a few spring bulbs a few days ago, the garlic and bulbs arrived today with a free pack of tulip bulbs - I'm well chuffed  :) Just need it to stop raining so I can take the begonia tubers out of the tubs and plant the  tulips...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 18:04 »
Reasons to be cheerful 1,2,3 ...  :D

I've got loads of bulbs planted in the garden and more in pots outside the back door, because there is no such thing as too much spring colour.

The plot is soggy and can't be worked just now, but the soil prep and clean ups will happen in their time.  I nipped by the other day and among the gently fading summer stuff, the overwintering Wizard beans are just showing, as is the garlic.  Next years green shoots are already there waiting for their moment.

I'm saving seed spud ordering as a treat, but it is going to be done soon.  I have enough seeds, so won't be buying any more of course.  If you believe that, you are greener than the cabbages on your plot  :lol:

Pescador

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 18:56 »
If it doesn't stop raining PDQ the only thing I'll be planting next year is Kelp!!
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 09:24 »
  As soon as the last swallow goes i go into a gradual ' back end of the year ' decline. I can't help it. My mum was the same. I look forward more to the winter solstice more than Christmas because that's the beginning of the lighter times. Those pagans had the right idea. Then new year I start looking for snow drops, pushy willow and hearing the ' teacher teacher ' call of the great tit. Birds are busy looking for nesting sights then that heart leaping joy of seeing my beautiful swallows back for the first time. Just throw in hearing the cuckoo and I'm very happy and content. 😊

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 12:50 »
It is good to have plans,  I have been out this morning with the long handled wire brush cleaning the pavers, and generally clearing up.   All the time I am thinking,   now what shall I do about that next year,   where shall I plant the so and so and the such and such.  It is exciting to think about how to improve your acres.   
I also plan other things, like holidays, (got those booked).   Days out, home improvements, and keeping myself fit and well.     Must always have things to do and look forward to.     I like hearing about your plans as well.
Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

clip
monsoon season here..

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post October 01, 2019, 23:01
by snowdrops
xx
Pre-season prepping

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post January 04, 2018, 20:15
by rowlandwells
xx
Season of benevolence

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post January 25, 2023, 12:25
by Growster...
xx
Fishing Season 2020

Started by Aled on Chatting on the Plot

24 Replies
Last post October 28, 2020, 16:26
by Aled

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 46 queries.