One of my girls is unhappy

• 20 Replies

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« on: October 02, 2008, 15:03 »
one of my four has been unhappy for a week now. Mostly just stands about, head in, tail down. Does eat a bit but no longer eager to get in there with the others. Ive seen here eat and drink but her comb has reduced and shows signs of anaemia, so i dont think shes eating enough.

Im still dealing with the mite problem, but the other three dont seem affected so unless shes susceptible to them i dont think its the mites. She feels light, but ive seen no other indications

advice please on what might be wrong with her? Im going to arrange to isolate her later
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 15:07 »
do you know if she's laying ok ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 15:14 »
im pretty certain shes stopped. Only been getting 2-3 a day for the past week. Ive noticed as well she sometimes sleeps stood on the floor, head tucked under wing feathers (like my old canary does)

mumsy

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 15:41 »
Sounds to me like the red mite have got her, have you treated them with red mite powder, I know, a silly question, I know you have done their house.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 15:50 »
the girls have been sprayed with 1:20 dilution red mite concentrate, theyre due for the next spray tomorrow. The house is also due for its next complete clean out and spray tomorrow. I now have a bottle of poultry shield to do that with. (was using Jeyes when it wasnt a big problem)

Pictures of her -

[cant get the IMG thing to work for me, perhaps a mod could sort that out?]There you go Zak .. Rich

shes in isolation from the others. The run shes in (what the guinea pigs use) has been blasted with red mite concentrate spray and the bedding liberally doused in diatiom.

The picture of her poo is the best i can get since its the only one shes done in there so far. She has had a peck at the pellets ive given her.

mumsy

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 16:06 »
You are doing everything you can possibly do, the diatom does take a few days to work, but you know that anyway.  I do hope everything turns out ok, she looks a little sad, but very pretty.  Its hard to get on top of the blighters, think it took Babe about 3 weeks, if not longer.  She removed them all from the house while she was poultry shielding everyday & put them in a temporary house.  Which is ok if you have one!!!

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 20:11 »
She may be starting to moult. My 3 year old was hunched up and did not want to eat for a couple of weeks and did small green poops just like in your picture, Zak. I thought that she was dying, but today I found a dozen feathers lying around the garden. She is looking better now, but her comb has gone pale.
I suggest you hand feed her with her favourite food and encourage her to eat as much as possible for a few days.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 21:46 »
That poo is very green

Either lack of food so bile coming through or heavy worm burden.  Have your birds been wormed ?

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 22:02 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
That poo is very green

Either lack of food so bile coming through or heavy worm burden.  Have your birds been wormed ?

i thought it looked a bit too green,

no not wormed yet, but im planning on it very soon

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 22:06 »
I would think that she is weak and aneamic which maybe affecting her apetite. Bung a couple of garlic cloves in her water -will help put the mites of and perhaps try some kitten food  and natural yogurt to get some nutrients back into her. Good luck with her!

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 22:10 »
was wondering about some additional protein

not mentioned before, but they always have apple cider vinegar (NAF, for horses) in the water, and they have poultry spice mixed with their pellets

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 12:04 »
looks like you have all bases covered maybe just time will tell whether she can recover or not. A little protein will be OK not too much incase her kidneys aren't working properly.
Is she drinking OK?

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 12:11 »
hard to tell how well shes drinking. There are splashes around the drinker, so i guess shes taking a bit.

Ive had to move her onto an area of concrete, not ideal but the wind today is bitter so its a space underneath the covered enclosure that the guinea pigs and rabbit live in, to try and keep the wind off her and get her warmer.

She is pecking at the pellets, and ive just put here some dandelion and lettuce in there, and shes having a peck at those. So she is trying to eat something. But shes spent most of the morning asleep which i dont consider a good sign.

Just boiling up a bit of rice and some pasta for her now, hopefully that will entice her into eating more.

I keep going out every half hour and talking to her, giving her a bit of a stroke and cuddle (not condusive to my exam revision, of all the times to get a poorly chook it had to be as my final exam was due), even told the rabbit and piggies to talk to her! :roll:

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 12:12 »
what can i give her for protein? we dont have a cat or dog so no tinned food like that about. I do have tuna in springwater, would that be ok? the only other fish i have is mackeral which im sure is no go because its oily

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 18:42 »
quick update on her. Shes quite a bit worse today, hardly able to stand and quite unstable, when i cuddle her she rests her head on me. :cry:

Libby at Retford Poultry (who i was put onto by local vet) has asked that i post a poo sample to be analysed, that goes tomorrow. Just hope she lasts long enough for a diagnosis

xx
Unhappy hen

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:45
by Wyandottie
xx
Unhappy :(

Started by kizza on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 11:35
by kizza
xx
Unhappy hen?

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 16, 2017, 06:35
by ghost61
xx
Unhappy Chicken

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 18:32
by 3Bluebelles

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 39 queries.