Is it autumn already??

• 20 Replies

Goosegirl

Re: Is it autumn already??
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 14:00 »
Mmm, interesting comments because we moved house last June so are gardening on a different type of soil (slightly acidic), no salt winds, very few slugs and snails, and have a smaller greenhouse. The garden hasn't been used for a few years so dug and/ or made new beds. There's a raised stone-walled cold frame where I sowed some carrots, beetroot, spring onions and sugar snaps. All are going great guns except the snaps as they were moved twice and didn't like it; however, three survived plus I sowed some more which are also growing up the frame. Next to the cold frame is a narrow low stone wall which was covered in concrete so got rid of that, dug some of it over, added mushroom compost, then planted more spring onions, three kale, three left-over sweet corn, and later on planted my leeks. All are thriving and have lovely dark green leaves, plus my corn is the fattest and has more potential cob parts than I've ever seen. The greenhouse, however, is another matter. Dug the two side beds over and planted two toms in each of two large grow bags. They took ages to get going, sprouted side shoots everywhere and currently have toms that are still green. My single climbing French bean at the back was also very slow and only produced one upright stem but it had the biggest, darkest, sparsely-spread green leaves I've ever seen and it's only now producing side stems which are just starting to flower. The three dwarf French beans were planted in the other bed which OH insisted I dug in two big bags of horse manure and they don't look well (see my post about Aminopyralid) and the sweet corn are tall but very spindly and they have finally produced the cob parts which I pollinated by tapping the stems with a stick. My ornamental plants ... well ... they also took absolute ages to get going. It has been a funny year weather-wise so I'll see what happens next year.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Bigsparrow

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2021, 14:56 »
Lots of very interesting comments about the weather.  It has been unusually good here in North Cumbria,  very little rain, and weeks of sunshine, but due to change tomorrow.  Most things are doing really well, sweetcorn, onion and squash are loving the sun, but the brassicas have also done well. Ripe toms and peppers in the greenhouse. So different from last year when it was poor weather and we had a vole population explosion, and we struggled with peas and borlotti beans as they got pulled up/eaten as soon as they germinated!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2021, 18:32 »
It has also been a mixed bag over here.

My yellow summer squash (variety Butter Dish) produced 2 fruits out of 4 plants; what we call zucchini here produced nothing at all.  Huge plants, lots of flowers, however very little fruit set.  Then the squash vine borers got in and literally liquified the stems into orange mush / dead plants. Be glad you don't have squash vine borers.  If I ever grow squash again, it will be tromboncino (resistant to the borers). 

Deer managed to get around my deer fence and turned the garden into a salad bar.  Squash, peppers, cucumber plants, okra ...  they even ate 2 orchid plants and a Christmas cactus.

On the plus side, the tomatoes and cucumbers that did not get eaten have produced a bumper crop, enough that salad is available every day and I have plenty to give away to family and friends.  Banana an jalapeno peppers are also producing a bunch.

We have enough growing season remaining that I am going to plant green beans and wax beans later today (I think both of those you may call French beans?).  Maybe a tomato or two in pots. That may be it in terms of summer crops for this year, but I may soon get started on crops that will produce over the winter for us (chard, turnips and suchlike).
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

AnneB

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2021, 07:52 »
No ripe tomatoes here yet either. 
Did 2 sowings of carrots and parsnips, produced a grand total of 5 carrots only.
No beans of any type yet, or peppers, or aubergines (no surprise there)  or cucumbers.  Plants all growing but no fruit so far.
On the plus side, peas, field beans, 1st early potatoes, courgettes all very good.
Blackcurrants, redcurrants and gooseberries tremendous.  Pigeons ate the strawberries.
I have 4 small melons that look promising, which will be very welcome if they grow and ripen.

al78

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2021, 10:25 »
Lots of very interesting comments about the weather.  It has been unusually good here in North Cumbria,  very little rain, and weeks of sunshine, but due to change tomorrow.  Most things are doing really well, sweetcorn, onion and squash are loving the sun, but the brassicas have also done well. Ripe toms and peppers in the greenhouse. So different from last year when it was poor weather and we had a vole population explosion, and we struggled with peas and borlotti beans as they got pulled up/eaten as soon as they germinated!

It has been unusual this year in that SE England has copped the poor weather since May whereas the north of England and Scotland have experienced dry weather. London has been particularly wet this summer.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2021, 11:28 »
Funnily enough we had a vole explosion last year too. They even ate the onion tops. They seem to have retreated back into the compost heap this year!

xx
Are there better Autumn raspberries than Autumn Bliss?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 07:35
by DD.
xx
Autumn veg

Started by flimbin on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 13, 2020, 08:29
by flimbin
xx
Autumn

Started by deedee71 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 20:58
by gobs
question
Autumn planting veg

Started by Bertie9491 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2022, 07:42
by lettice

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 42 queries.