Materials Allowed on Allotments

• 6 Replies

ThamesPlotter

• No Bull Here!!
Materials Allowed on Allotments
« on: March 26, 2021, 19:49 »
I recently have had a debate with others on the allotment about material coming on to site that is not environmentally friendly, namely vulcanised rubber (industrial) conveyor belt that they want to lay as a path! Has anyone else had this material on their plot?
Has anyone knowledge of the potential environmental issues using this?
The (Council) Allotment Management have not come across this material before and are going to investigate.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Materials Allowed on Allotments
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 09:50 »
It may depend on what is allowed or forbidden in the tenancy agreement.  Tyres used to be used to form planter stacks - but there are now rules on the 'disposal' of tyres, which might rule out bringing them onto the plot these days.  What you describe is something different, and I have no experience of it, sorry.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

ThamesPlotter

• No Bull Here!!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 22:08 »
Council Allotment Management have said that Industrial (Vulcanised) Conveyor belt and rubber tyres are allowed on site,  providing they are removed when you give up ypur plot!!🤔🤔🤔
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 22:09 by ThamesPlotter »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 17:41 »
Well that seems reasonable  :)

The bunny

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 07:46 »
I am personally on a quest to rid my own plot of all unnecessary plastic, including pots. As a 60s child my father gardened all his life , seed trays were wooden , pots were clay. The greenhouse at home was wooden. the watering can metal. The smell of these damp items remains fixed in my memory.  I don’t think I have ever seen a wooden seed tray for sale!  Somehow people managed then, why not now.

Welsh Merf

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 06:57 »
Some of our allotments have rubber mats as pathways, and they're great for the job, as well as keeping the weeds down. However, as has been already said, they are to be removed at the end of your tenancy.

There is no concrete allowed on our allotment, i.e. permanent concrete such as shed/greenhouse bases, and also no corrugated metal sheets. Other than that, I can't think of any other material that isn't allowed (obviously not nuclear grade uranium or anything like that  :D)
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 08:54 »
Some of our allotments have rubber mats as pathways, and they're great for the job, as well as keeping the weeds down. However, as has been already said, they are to be removed at the end of your tenancy.

There is no concrete allowed on our allotment, i.e. permanent concrete such as shed/greenhouse bases, and also no corrugated metal sheets. Other than that, I can't think of any other material that isn't allowed (obviously not nuclear grade uranium or anything like that  :D)

Do the rubber mats not get slippy when wet? Fine if it’s just on your actual plot but a bit of a risk on communal pathways, or a nuisance when covered with soil & weeds I’d have thought ?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
greenhouse materials

Started by dixiebob on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 21:29
by richyrich7
xx
Raised beds materials

Started by casper on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post April 27, 2019, 18:54
by Didiaskew
xx
A good source for raised bed materials

Started by Barry sharpe on Design and Construction

42 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 19:21
by David.
clip
New to allotments

Started by Wellington on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 18:41
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 45 queries.