Strange thing getting older

• 21 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Strange thing getting older
« on: March 02, 2019, 17:13 »
I'm 77 in a couple of months and all my preconceptions about getting ancient have proven false:
I was led to believe that as we got older, we needed less sleep. Quite the reverse. I used to manage on 6 hours but now need 9 hours per night.
I used to enjoy sitting down and reading or watching TV. I thought this would continue into old age. Now, I only sit down for meals or typing on my PC. The rest of my waking hours are lived on my feet. I watch TV or read the paper stood up leaning on the back of the sofa or easy chair. I've no idea why I do this as I've no problem getting up out of a chair.
I used to believe that looking at my garden and veg plots would be a grand old-age occupation, but the second I do, I'm reaching for a hoe or fork etc and am only happy when I'm actually working in the garden rather than admiring it.
Do other old codgers act the same?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Strange thing getting older
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 17:47 »
I don't know but you have over 20 years on me and are still going strong.  Good for you  :D  Some of my favourite friends down at the allotment site are about your age and they are an inspiration as well.

If I am as active as you all are when I am in my 70s, I shall be very happy indeed  :)

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 17:59 »
I worry that I may be prematurely wearing myself out. I'm not sure that my inability to take it easy is a good thing

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 18:23 »
I'm in your club AlaninCarlisle 20 years ago I thought nothing of going down the allotments for many hours from morning till night but I'm afraid that's all in the past after a morning down the allotments its back for lunch and then in the chair for a couple of hours zzzz

and its not allotments  every day I have a day in the greenhouses one day  shopping and sometimes we go out for lunch in the week but weekends Saturday and Sunday a couple of hours spent in the greenhouses then lunch and feet up till monday morning

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 18:24 »
Just had a small op on a mitt, and can't drive for a month apparently! I can't even ride my bike :0(

So, just before the chopping, I finished the list of Wistaria pruning, Pyracantha pruning mowing and a load of other stuff, and now want another list to fill the time...

I've long wanted to reorganise the shed, and we're growing much less now, but in concentrated areas of the GH, so effort is no problem! I only read the news online, and never listen to or watch the awful BBC, but while waiting for the op yesterday, I nearly finished a DT crossword (in a book), which is something I haven't done in years! There's more to Scopolamine than meets the eye methinks...

So that's two major weeks organised, but you have five pleasant years on me, and I look forward to reading about what you're up to in 2024!

As for you, News, you have a whole generation ahead of you, so lucky you, eh?

71 is the new 51 in my book, so plenty of time yet..;0)

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 18:25 »
None of us know how long the piece of string is so enjoy today don't worry about tomorrow we just have to deal with it when it comes.
Do what you think feels right for you but maybe make the conscious  decision to sit and relax every now and then.
Do what's right for you!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 20:03 »
I can't do whole days on the plot like I used to - nowadays it's a couple of hours then home. My back plays up  if I do too much. Sometimes, after lunch I can go back for another hour or so, if I'm lucky, otherwise it's just an afternoon potter in the greenhouse or in my small garden.
I don't watch as much TV as I used to - I programme to record anything I fancy, so can watch when I want and ffwd through the ads. I seem to read much more than ever now, though :)

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 22:21 »
For the time being I can pretty much still do what I used to, the main difference now is it takes me so much longer  ::) Gone are the days of running the mower over the lawn whilst waiting for the kettle to boil, it's now a half day job which has the be scheduled and planned.  :nowink: 

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 07:43 »
For the time being I can pretty much still do what I used to, the main difference now is it takes me so much longer  ::) Gone are the days of running the mower over the lawn whilst waiting for the kettle to boil, it's now a half day job which has the be scheduled and planned.  :nowink:

We had a mower like that once 😂
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 08:12 »
I hope things go ok for you Growster … and your back on the allotments or garden very soon take it easy RW

PS I'm pleased you reminded me about the bike I must get it out the shed I wonder if I can still ride it down the village  :ohmy:

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 08:28 »
Alanincarlisle you are doing just the right thing, sitting  down is bad for your health! And so is gardening of course........

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 11:28 »
Alanincarlisle you are doing just the right thing, sitting  down is bad for your health! And so is gardening of course........

:lol:

But a happy life, doing active hobbies you love and more sedate ones keeping your brain ticking over, is the best medicine of all  :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 12:17 »
I know it's hard to keep active, once aches and pains set in  :(
I'm sure that the crosswords/word and number puzzles that I have always done are getting harder  ::)

I also know if I don't use them (muscles and brain) I will lose them - so as Churchill famously put it, I will “Keep b*ggering on”   :lol: :lol:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 12:37 »
I thought I was the oldest person on the Plot  :D  Reading all your threads, I think I fall somewhere around them all.   The only time I sit down in the day, is to type on here.   I must finish the daily crossword - compulsory.   Anything I see that needs doing I have to do it there and then..   I go for a good walk most days, unless it is like today  :(  I too stand up to watch tv and lots of things were others may sit.  I do not sit down in the daytime at all,   unless I am at a hospital appointment  :lol:
I am reasonable happy with my body, the shape is ok, face is ok ish I am always told I look 60 ish.     But whilst I am quite happy to keep it,  I wish it would just stop HURTING EVERYWHERE.   :D :D    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 13:01 »
It is a bit strange but in some ways quite delightful. It's the joy of being retired so the time's is my own to do what I feel like, when, and with whom, and accepting the fact that I can't do everything I used to do because I'm not as quick as I used to be - so what - does it really matter if I have more weeds? I think young, therefore I am, so am old enough to do daft things with the excuse of incipient dotage.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
I’m older than l thought !

Started by comfreykid on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post January 14, 2022, 16:52
by Christine
xx
Have I done the right thing ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post November 01, 2019, 17:20
by Christine
xx
Hello - is this thing on?

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

21 Replies
Last post March 26, 2021, 08:31
by JayG
xx
What's the daftest thing you did lately?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post January 27, 2019, 14:28
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 54 queries.