Interesting programme Radio 4

• 20 Replies

gobs

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 22:36 »
:lol:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gobs

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 00:10 »

mushroom

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2007, 12:04 »
Quote from: "sweet nasturtium"
That's very interesting.  I wonder if there's any way they can identify them genetically?  
I'm sure Mushroom can help with this one...
 :)

genome sequencing. I doubt any apple species has been completely sequenced, that's the only way to tell unless you had a good idea of what and where you were looking on the genome.

gobs

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 07:35 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
Quote from: "sweet nasturtium"
That's very interesting.  I wonder if there's any way they can identify them genetically?  
I'm sure Mushroom can help with this one...

genome sequencing. I doubt any apple species has been completely sequenced, that's the only way to tell unless you had a good idea of what and where you were looking on the genome.

There are some serious research programs going on in a lot of countries and a lot of work is going into building up collections and databases of known varieties and genetic materials are catalogued.

We just discovered a bit too late that we lost a lot of varieties since industrialization began and that this was no good. And this is the biggest problem these people are facing, lack of continuity in agricultural knowledge.

Reading some of these databases one feels there was a variety for every ten village or so, and the naming of them(usually referring to place of origin) must have been very important and retained, for local pride and as valuable agricultural information.

People's world was surprisingly much bigger than previously thought, even in viking times, they traded and interacted even with dif cultures, that included plants, however, naming retains original(even foreign language words for ID), unless by mistake or misunderstanding and ignorance, as in cocoa and chocolate beans, Jer Artichokes.

mushroom

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 08:39 »
you're early today, Gobs! I'd be down the plot as well today, if I didn't have to work right now. Looks like it will be a nice clear day, too, :sigh:

gobs

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2007, 14:44 »
I'm an early riser. :wink:

xx
Radio

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2018, 16:20
by heygrow
xx
TV programme - The Big Dig???

Started by Dabhand on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 15, 2007, 09:27
by legendaryone
xx
Veg feeding programme

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 06:40
by Brassica Blaz
xx
BBC programme Post

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 16:26
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 38 queries.