Aaargh hatching eggs on ebay rant

• 59 Replies

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: Aaargh hatching eggs on ebay rant
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2011, 18:34 »
i was wanting to buy some eggs off ebay soon but am put off now! where else can you buy eggs from? i only know of places to buy birds? either as day old or POLs.

I bought some Serema eggs from Ebay and they are all showing fertile at the moment.  I suppose there will always be those that con folk but there are many im sure that are genuine.

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2011, 21:26 »
Many more people are likely to complain online than actually praise companies/websites. Everyone who buys eggs from ebay knows that it is a risk, post, unknown sender etc, if you don't want to take this risk then don't buy them! I have bought them in the past and had great success, I have also bought from other poultry keepers and they have not hatched. The unfortunate thing in life is that there will always be someone, whether it is ebay or not, who will try to rip you off! But there are plenty of others who will not! :tongue2:

Rant over, sick of seeing ebay egg threads..... (rant starting again! ::))

Steve :)

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2011, 11:06 »
I think a lot of us make the mistake when we first start out of believing the blurb that comes from the sellers of these coop/ runs. I bought one just like it from ebay when I started and it was listed as being suitable for 6 hens! luckily I only had 3 bantams and I quickly threw together an extended run for them. If I'd had 6 hens in one of these they wouldn't have been much better off than battery hens.
I've also bought hatching eggs from ebay and they turned out nothing like I expected.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:08 by themagicaltoad1 »

Twinkie002

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2011, 11:20 »
I agree - a lot of these cheaper ebay sheds are imported from China and I wonder who in their company would have a clue about the recommended dimensions of space our UK chickens require!  I think its best for keepers to judge for themselves,  which can be quite difficult to tell when looking at a photograph on ebay. I would probably look at they say the number of hens it could house, then half it to be safe! :happy:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2011, 11:26 »
even then the runs are often big enough for just one hen at the most, they are ok if you place the coop inside a run giving them room to move.
Staffies are softer than you think.

jinty1911

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2011, 20:08 »
Twinkie002 where abouts in Lincolnshire are you? There are lots of us on here from Lincs, myself, Grannie Annie, Rachel, GTFC, chickenlady, Nichchick, Dabhand in fact the list could go on and on and on  :D.
I'm from the South Holland area (about 12 miles from Spalding, and 12 from Boston) and Grannie Annie lives just a couple of miles or so down the road from me  :)

Hi, I am from the Lincoln / Gainsborough area bit further north than Boston etc , but Lincolnshire is a huge county! :D

Well you'll be able to join the Lincolnshire coven then and swop spells and suggestions for magic potion ingredients.  I hear crushed egg shells are very good.  You don't happen to have eglus do you?  

Better watch what I say or Joy will turn me into a toad again :(
HF

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

trinamc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2011, 13:29 »
My last batch of eggs from ebay are not what i expected they are suposed to be buff orpingtons but they have green tail feathers I contacted the seller and was told they carn't have green feathers as there were only buff orpingtons in the pen! 

So either the seller is not telling the truth or the chickens have got hold of green dye when I have been out!!!!!!! ;)

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2011, 15:25 »
blooming cleaver chickens  :D :D :D :D :D
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

jinty1911

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2011, 19:02 »
I got a house off ebay 6 months ago and am quite pleased with it (after a few alterations). There is plenty of room in the house for 5/6 banties (got 3) but the run is tiny, so they are out in the mainly slabbed garden all day.  Have got borders and lots of pea pebble stratching areas that they love to make a mess of.

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2011, 17:46 »
I have just brought serama eggs off eBay and they are all looking good. I think some of it is down to how the postal system has treated the eggs can't always blame the supplier. Of course there are sellers who know there eggs won't hatch but I guess you get there everywhere

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2011, 21:13 »
I sell my serama, quail  and pekin eggs on ebay (sold serama unknowingly to Min200) and have had good feedback from all sold..... even some that were posted to leeds and then flown to Hungary (may have said this before)  ;)

Its not always down to the post, but how well the eggs are packed and the quality/age of the egg in the first place that counts :)

I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2011, 08:20 »
They must be SUPERB quality if they can fly to Hungary in their unhatched state!!
ManicMum

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2011, 08:23 »
I sell my serama, quail  and pekin eggs on ebay (sold serama unknowingly to Min200) and have had good feedback from all sold..... even some that were posted to leeds and then flown to Hungary (may have said this before)  ;)

Its not always down to the post, but how well the eggs are packed and the quality/age of the egg in the first place that counts :)

3 days to go 3 days to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im not an excited big girls blouse honest!!

elibump

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2011, 08:36 »
Im not an excited big girls blouse honest!!
[/quote]

Fibber  ;)

Eli xx
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2011, 09:13 »
Uba, Every time I watched a Harry Potter movie and Hagart would say he got his hatching dragon egg from an Irishman down at the pub, etc., I was lost at the humour of it until your comment here.  I'm an American transplant, and even after quite a few years of living here permanently, I'm still catching on to little cultural things like this!  So it's been an "AHA!" moment for me today.  Thanks!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

xx
frustrated with ebay and buying hatching eggs try this

Started by shella on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 02:36
by AL Hathaway
xx
Another ebay rant

Started by Hayley'sHens on Chicken Chat

22 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 21:36
by Chookiechook
xx
My new hatching eggs have arrived

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 18:55
by dizzylizzie
xx
hatching eggs...no idea whats in them lol

Started by needssomehelp on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 07:59
by needssomehelp

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 40 queries.