How many chickens?

• 12 Replies

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
How many chickens?
« on: February 16, 2010, 17:29 »
How many chickens do you think can I keep part time (as they free range 3-4 days a week) in a 5m x 2m run?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 22:42 by chuckmum »

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
Re: How many chickens?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:24 »
Technically 10 as they are supposed to have 1 sq m each available space. But I have 8 hens in a 4x4m run, and I'd not like to leave them in there full time. So how about 5 or 6?

What are you thinking of getting?  :)
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 11:57 »
I would say 3-4 the more space the better for them.  I have 4.5 sq m  for my girls and they free range for 2 days a week and have still turned from grass to mud.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 20:11 »
Mine think sq m means square miles. :D

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 20:17 »
I'm going to have 2sqm per bird in my run, but they do (and will continue to) free range every day and will only be confined to the run when I am on holiday or not getting home before dusk. The more space the better so I would say no more than 5 birds in a 5x2 run  :)

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 08:24 »
Mine think sq m means square miles. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have 5 chickens within a 50m poultry net and have wall to wall mud!!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Elcie

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 09:11 »
Advice is 1sq m per hen but most people advocate more space than that, usually 2sq m is the general thoughts on here.

Just a thought - does anyone ever consider height as well?  I would have thought that a smaller run that allows some movement up and down, eg through ladders or different levels, would be better than a larger run that has no movement upwards.  But do others agree?  Don't think I have seen this discussed on here (but could be wrong!)

The reason I ask is that we are currently building a run and they girls will have a dustbath included (an old plastic paddling pool.  Have decided to raise this up off the floor and put on top of a table with a ladder going up as this allows them the space of the dustbath and the space underneath too.  In effect 'adding' space.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 09:17 »
Be careful are you building a launch pad for your chickens to jump out of the run?

I have built a couple of perching bars  seen below to the left.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 09:53 »
I'm also adding levels into my run, but the run itself will be covered with mesh so they wont be able to leap out. A few different level perches and I'm including an old shed in the run with no door (but a 2ft high kick panel so they don't kick the hemcore out into the run itself which will be rubber chippings with weed control mesh beneath) as this will act as a covered play area for them when it's cold and wet with a dust bath in and also somewhere to escape the ducks from if they are picking on them as it will be a run for both chooks & ducks (the ducks don't care when it's cold and wet!). My 2msq is taking into account the structures within it and it will be 6ft high so should be a little chook/duck palace for them  :lol:

Elcie

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 16:58 »
Yes, sorry, I should have made it clear - the run will be completely covered so they won't be able to escape by jumping up and over the sides.  My two in the garden love jumping up onto the table or the shed so that is what gave me the idea for having different levels.  Gives them exercise when jumping up to the different levels and provides more overall floor space for them too - win/win situation.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 22:42 »
i think different levels helps keep them occupied. (perches, wheel barrows, ladders etc) Although seemingly small brained and thick they are inquisitive, if kept occupied in the run there appears to be less pecking and fighting!
Caralou i am curious why use weed-fabric in run? my chicks eat them all even though they free range lots

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 00:14 »
I'm using rubber chippings the benefit of which is that when they get poop on them I can wash down the run with a jeyes fluid mix and the mesh helps to prevent the chippings getting lost below in the mud/soil. The girls can still eat all the weeds they want in the rest of the garden  ;)

Here is where the rubber chippings are coming from - I can highly recommend them. http://www.mud-management.co.uk/
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 00:16 by Caralou »

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 17:39 »
Thats looks like a great idea!!!!!

Too tired or too much vino last night could only think "why would weeds be a problem in the run" didnt think off it keeping mud and rubber seperate!! ::) ::)

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
i want chickens

Started by matty42 on The Hen House

50 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 09:48
by RuthG

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 39 queries.